Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Aqua Alex's Fish Profile: Redhook Silverdollar (Myleus Rubripinnis)

Discussion in 'Other Characins' started by AquaAlex1993, Jun 22, 2017.

1. J. H.

J. H. MFK Members

pyh
      Today at 7:58 AM
      Your Java Ferns must taste like poison. My experience is SDs after plants are wilder and more ferocious than their piranha cousins after flesh.

AquaAlex1993 likes this.
    2. Galantspeedz

Galantspeedz MFK Members

Today at 7:14 AM
      was doing some reading before i purchase the ferns, it seems java ferns have the highest chance of survival.... even when i see the ferns floating, it is usually 1 whole leave...

J. H. likes this.
    3. AquaAlex1993

AquaAlex1993 MFK Members

Alex Cardinale
      12 minutes ago
      Yes, Metynnis is the regular silver dollar.
      Java fern, and anubais (spelling) seem to be plants that silverdollars seem to leave alone.
      I hate when fish **** when doing water changes.

I agree with you, plus they are better than piranha. ;) Although nothing wrong with piranha, I love caribe.

4. nzafi

nzafi MFK Members

33 minutes ago
      Forgive my ignorance but these guys get pretty tall so while 12in long doesn't seem much, won't they almost be the same height? Pretty much like a small dinner plate. I guess you can keep in a 75g but I would just view that as tight, especially for two.

AquaAlex1993 likes this.
    5. Kittiee Katt

Kittiee Katt MFK Members

Ebbi
      15 minutes ago
      Forgive me if I'm wrong, but unless you're talking about a huge tank I feel like this is an accident waiting to happen. Angelfish are slow and graceful, even at full speed they're a pretty slow fish and I feel like they'd get injured by the silver dollars if they were to start darting around.

I have (what I believe to be) metynnis hypsauchen which are half the size of redhooks, and I couldn't imagine keeping them with angelfish because of how quickly they can move. If I ever kept them with angels I'd either want a HUGE tank, HUGE angels or both - probably both. Even then I'd expect wake up one morning to an angel with a broken spine sooner or later. :(

Disclaimer: this is solely my opinion. I do not know everything nor do I claim to. I'm here to learn just like the next guy. :)

Otherwise, great job Alex!

AquaAlex1993 likes this.
    6. Boomer1224

Boomer1224 MFK Members

Nicholas Cardinale
      Yesterday at 4:06 PM
      I guess we need Dr Foster & Smith to write these articles give him a break

7. AquaAlex1993

AquaAlex1993 MFK Members

Alex Cardinale
      12 minutes ago
      Yes. It would be tight for 2, but not cruel, they would be able to swim. BUT BUT, I did say that 75 gallons and BIGGER is recommended so I did suggest bigger tanks.

Meow! Meow! (insert laugh)
      I have kept redhooks with angelfish in the past before, and haven't ever had any issues what so ever, in fact the angelfish would chase the red hooks around. The red hooks were more afraid than the angelfish. The angels were the boss. My angels are selffish I feed them a lot and spoil them.
      It depends on the individual fish as always.
      No need for the disclaimer I am the same way.

8. moe214

moe214 MFK Members

Today at 1:15 AM
      I'd agree, let alone the fact the SD are active. I'd recommend no less than a 90 personally; 125 better. Think they'd appreciate the length greatly.

Also not to nit pick but just for future reference. Don't think you should write 75-1000g may confuse younger readers that a tank to big isn't good for fish. Kind of contradict yourself right after saying bigger is better. And also you say 75 for a pair but then say don't get less than 3. Another contradiction. Id say five would be better knowing how nippy SD can be to eachother. Other than that good write up

9. Kittiee Katt

Kittiee Katt MFK Members

Ebbi
      15 minutes ago
      I don't think anyone was giving Alex a hard time, just offering their thoughts and advice. This is a public forum for people to share their thoughts and experiences so that's what people were doing. No one was bashing Alex's write up, just offering their experiences with the fish in question :)

Hmm. I would of expected the dollars to accidentally hurt the angels if they got spooked.. That being said I've never kept angels and dollars together so you're probably a lot more qualified than me to talk about this subject. :D

AquaAlex1993 likes this.
    10. AquaAlex1993

AquaAlex1993 MFK Members

Alex Cardinale
      12 minutes ago
      I suppose they could hurt the angels if really spooked, but they would need to hit them really hard.

Kittiee Katt likes this.