Albino Trimaculatus

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
OK...I have three breeding pair and a ton of fry from three inches down. I didn't NEED anymore Trimac....but I got another breeding pair anyway. The vendor, reputable guy and good friend, said that the pair has been throwing albino fry. In order to do that, both male and female have to have the recessive gene. How could I resist.

I'm sure it's possible, but I never seen or heard of them. I asked Juan Miquel. He said that unlike some of the deeper water fish, the Trimac lives in shallow lakes and lagoons. So any white fry are already marked to be eaten by predators. My friend said that they are picked off pretty quick in the tank as well.

If I get any of the fry...you can be assured that their lives will be well documented.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
So how do you keep breeding pairs long term? Do you let them just keep spawning every 3-4 weeks indefinitely? Or, do you separate make and female and only let them get together a time or two a year? When you want some fry?

And what do you do with all the fry? Surely you can't raise all the fry 3 pairs produce.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Subbed

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hey Mo, does this vendor have any provenance to go with this albino producing pair?

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
So how do you keep breeding pairs long term? Do you let them just keep spawning every 3-4 weeks indefinitely? Or, do you separate make and female and only let them get together a time or two a year? When you want some fry?

And what do you do with all the fry? Surely you can't raise all the fry 3 pairs produce.
I have them in a 125 gallon tank. It has a divider with about 25% of the tank reserved as a safe haven for the female. She can get through the divider. He can't. They breed whenever they want. In general it happen a couple times a year. I leave the fry in the tank for a couple months with the parents. This slows future breeding. It also lets Mother Nature " light" cull out weaker or smaller fish. I give some to friends. Some I grow out. I feed a lot of the new fry to other fish.

Reactions: brian gest

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
verything parameter wise was good just a few days ago, I do a water change every week but I'll check again
I have them in a 125 gallon tank. It has a divider with about 25% of the tank reserved as a safe haven for the female. She can get through the divider. He can't. They breed whenever they want. In general it happen a couple times a year. I leave the fry in the tank for a couple months with the parents. This slows future breeding. It also lets Mother Nature " light" cull out weaker or smaller fish. I give some to friends. Some I grow out. I feed a lot of the new fry to other fish.
That's what I do!!! Amazing. I just haven't had any fry, yet. 125 gallon tank, divider that only she can get through. My female has laid twice, but the male won't fertilize the eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store