Why so much hate/dislike others for owning BP?

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
As the title asked. I find it strange way people knock others for the fish they like to keep. I understand the dislike of people selling fish as a "pure" species but actually mixed but not for people that just want to keep what they want.

I, for instance, cannot understand the love for Goldfish/Koi but I wouldn't knock someone for keeping as they aren't "natural".

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This is the FH/BP/Hybrid section ......where are you seeing all the hate for BP? lol

Reactions: J. H.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Personally, I would not keep any of those species you mentioned, although my disinterest has zero to do with the age (origin) of the species and more with my peculiar preferences in fish. And I would never (have never) knock anyone for the fish they keep based upon my judgement as to whether or not they were "pure" or natural.

I love dogs, cats, and horses which are decidedly not pure or natural.

However, let me be sure I understand your point. You're somehow equating fish that have been bred for 30 years with those that have bred for 1,000 years and implying that they are equal simply because both were bred?

Last edited:

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
However, let me be sure I understand your point. You're somehow equating fish that have been bred for 30 years with those that have bred for 1,000 years and implying that they are equal simply because both were bred?

Why would it be any different? Age of a "breed" is meaningless.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
This is the FH/BP/Hybrid section ......where are you seeing all the hate for BP? lol
Not saying here lol, more of a general comment/question about the community as a whole :)

tenshi032

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2017
I have 9 Blood Parrot since a few years back, but just lost 2 last week due to faulty filter pump. BP are interesting fish, i dont understand why would anyone 'hate' them

TheLastKon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2015
People just want changes in the hobby. They want to lower the demand for bp by bashing them whenever the chance arises. Bp is arguably the most hybridized fish in the hobby. mfk overall doesn't really like hybrids and for the most part discourages hybridization.

Personally fish are fish. If they hybridize keep the best feed the rest. If we never made hybrids or line bred our fish then we would still be keeping grey or white carp instead of beautiful koi

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If MFK didn't appreciate hybrids and the people that keep them, they wouldn't have created this folder. Even their mods (at least one of them that I know of) keeps hybrids. (KKP/Mammon)

What many on MFK don't like, myself included, is when members post their hybrid mutts in folders that were specifically created for geographical regions. I have kept hybrids, still have a KKP female in one of my mixed tanks, but I too don't want to see hybrid threads in geographical region folders, such as the CA/SA section. It has nothing to do with not liking hybrids, it has to do with keeping the various folders somewhat organized, instead of a giant mish-mash of topics and fish.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
You also have to understand that fancy goldfish, bettas, guppies and such have their haters too. My father will not keep them or allow me to keep them in the house because he says watching them try to swim pains him. So you have two types of people who dislike these fish; those who fear 'counterfeit' cichlids pushing their 'purebloods' out of the hobby, like RD. RD. said, and those who simply can't stand to see what they feel is a suffering fish. Both of these people are offended by the BPs existence. I, on the other hand, simply don't like their attitude/the way they look, and would prefer a Amphilophus, Pearsei, Gymnogeophagus, convict or HRP any day, so while I wouldn't keep a BP or FH, I am not bothered by someone who does and would keep/am keeping/have kept SBs, fancy mollies, guppies, Aulanchara, Midevils, Ranchus, Jikins, Lionheads, Orandas, Yaun Baos and other such abominations. BTW, I would keep Kirin BPs or convict x BPs if they were available...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store