Picked up the start of my polys for my 470.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
very excited for you TexasMFK31 TexasMFK31 . Would the discus be okay with the arrowana and polys? Haven't seen too many poly + discus combos on here.

Although I think LJs would be cool in the 470g, glad you are doing what you prefer. I love UJs, and they will get pretty big too! Like how you are including the big 3 in your tank. Gonna be epic. Plus if you decide to later on you could always throw in a LJ or two.

What are your thoughts about gars or south american lungfish?

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
very excited for you TexasMFK31 TexasMFK31 . Would the discus be okay with the arrowana and polys? Haven't seen too many poly + discus combos on here.

Although I think LJs would be cool in the 470g, glad you are doing what you prefer. I love UJs, and they will get pretty big too! Like how you are including the big 3 in your tank. Gonna be epic. Plus if you decide to later on you could always throw in a LJ or two.

What are your thoughts about gars or south american lungfish?

The Discus are the biggest toss up, research seems to be 50/50 on them in the tank. If they don't work out, a Gar or 2 will go in, and probably 5-6 Tinfoil barbs. The discus will then go to a 150-180 I find. Which, may happen just to have a nice sized community tank too. Shall see!

Reactions: clm08k

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
J jaws7777 here is the best photo I could get of the retro. Bonus beefcake Delhezi, took the last danios out last night.

View attachment 1280736 View attachment 1280737
Im really curious to see how thar retro turns out. I always wanted to keeo one but never got around to it.

Its cool that you wanna stick to uj's they are pretty cool in their own right. In terms of color they definitly are beautiful.

Koloton/koliba have pretty cool greens and yellows but for the long term if it were my tank id keep it to either lj or uj.

You plan on adding anymore ?

Reactions: magpie

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Im really curious to see how thar retro turns out. I always wanted to keeo one but never got around to it.

Its cool that you wanna stick to uj's they are pretty cool in their own right. In terms of color they definitly are beautiful.

Koloton/koliba have pretty cool greens and yellows but for the long term if it were my tank id keep it to either lj or uj.

You plan on adding anymore ?

Definitely planning to stay UJs. Other than trying to find a Weeksii and an Ornate I wasn't planning on it. Maybe find a Palmas Polli, or are they just Polli now?

The biggest thing will be to see how they fair with Discus.....ordering those on Friday, getting 10 2". Start growing them out. I got back and forth between getting them in the big tank 1st then moving the arowana/bichirs. Or just move the arowana/bichirs and get the discus over when they are 5" mark.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Definitely planning to stay UJs. Other than trying to find a Weeksii and an Ornate I wasn't planning on it. Maybe find a Palmas Polli, or are they just Polli now?

The biggest thing will be to see how they fair with Discus.....ordering those on Friday, getting 10 2". Start growing them out. I got back and forth between getting them in the big tank 1st then moving the arowana/bichirs. Or just move the arowana/bichirs and get the discus over when they are 5" mark.
I never kept discuss sp good luck with that lol.

Weeksii and ornate shouldnt be too hard to find. Check monsteraquarium in ny. They ship stuff pretty good. Also im.pretty sure wetspot has ornates. Could also try toyin at www.rehobothaquatics.com he'll likely have both

Reactions: TexasMFK31

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Toyin more than likely wont ship directly to you but will ship to your lfs and imo id rather pay a little more to your lfs knowing that you wont have to deal with the delivery

Reactions: Jafar P Arab

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
I know it's a risk but I think the discus will be ok once at that 4-5"spot. If it were ljs I'd say no. I'm not saying a larger UJ won't try one but probably wont be as possible.
Yeah, I am thinking the same. Especially given they bichirs are relatively small and there is a lot of space in the tank. There will also be light on the tank at all times with the 24/7+ from Finnex.

I never kept discuss sp good luck with that lol.

Weeksii and ornate shouldnt be too hard to find. Check monsteraquarium in ny. They ship stuff pretty good. Also im.pretty sure wetspot has ornates. Could also try toyin at www.rehobothaquatics.com he'll likely have both
When I am ready, I'll harass my LFS. They had an ornate but I was an idiot and misread the numbers as $300 instead of $30.....whoops. I'll get a hold of them here next week and see what is available. They know I am after those 2 species for sure, so I think they'll let me know 1st thing!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I don’t keep discus but don’t they require special water parameters?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store