How to Kill BBA Dead in Its Tracks | Black Beard Algae Control With GlutarAid

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=32DYZ0l1oqc

Today we get rid of black beard algae effectively and easily using GlutarAid a product containing glutaraldehyde. We show you how we use these types of products to help control, kill and eliminate BBA black beard algae before it becomes a serious issue.

When black beard algae is first seen in the aquarium it is best to treat the affected areas right away. The key in managing and controlling BBA is to try and prevent it as much as possible, which includes acting quickly to remove it. This type of aquatic algae is a common problem in many planted tanks and once present can spread very quickly meaning little time before it takes over.

To remove black beard algae we spot treat the areas that are affected using glutaraldehyde and a syringe. We are currently using GlutaAid available from theplantguy.ca Other similar products that can be used include NilocG's Enhance and Seachem's Excel. These products work well when applied to the necessary areas and kill BBA dead in its tracks in just a few days.

It is recommended to inspect the affected areas well and rearrange the tank as necessary to eliminate as much of the BBA as possible. This type of spot treatment may be repeated a few times if required. Following treatment a large water change is recommended. It is also good to let the treatment set in for 10-15 minutes before changing water. Make sure all filters are stopped prior to treatment.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Excel will work, but it's equally effective to spot treat with peroxide at 1/10 the cost. A quart of peroxide costs less than a dollar. The best time to spot treat is in WC when the BBA is exposed. Any spill over won't harm fish or plants as peroxide will quickly turn into O2. Over dosing Excel can kill fish and plants.

Excel, or its generic glutaraldehyde, is best adminstered by dosing. Dose 2X the recommended amount daily. Beware that a few plants such as Vals and moss ,and invertebrates are sensitive to Excel and may die. Fish and most plants are safe though up to 5x the recommended dosage. Excel works wonder to control BBA and other algae, and provides supplemental carbon to nourish plants though no where near the effectiveness of CO2 injection.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
While this might work against BBA, it is _very bad_ advice from a personal health perspective!

Please note that glutaraldehyde is a potent sensitizer. It should be handled only with proper personal protection such as gloves, and only in a well ventilated area. Not a living room!

You might love the looks of your tank for a few days, but you will hate yourself for having developed a lifelong allergy to this stuff if you do!

Reactions: tlindsey

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
Excel will work, but it's equally effective to spot treat with peroxide at 1/10 the cost. A quart of peroxide costs less than a dollar. The best time to spot treat is in WC when the BBA is exposed. Any spill over won't harm fish or plants as peroxide will quickly turn into O2. Over dosing Excel can kill fish and plants.

Excel, or its generic glutaraldehyde, is best adminstered by dosing. Dose 2X the recommended amount daily. Beware that a few plants such as Vals and moss ,and invertebrates are sensitive to Excel and may die. Fish and most plants are safe though up to 5x the recommended dosage. Excel works wonder to control BBA and other algae, and provides supplemental carbon to nourish plants though no where near the effectiveness of CO2 injection.
Thanks for the tip man. I have never tried that method personally but have seen it done a few times with great results. I definitely agree that it is a safer method than using glutaraldehyde based products. A lot of people do use this product though and i believe it is far better in removing algae than as a source of carbon. Its not something i plan on using long term.

Aqua Nut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2016
www.youtube.com
While this might work against BBA, it is _very bad_ advice from a personal health perspective!

Please note that glutaraldehyde is a potent sensitizer. It should be handled only with proper personal protection such as gloves, and only in a well ventilated area. Not a living room!

You might love the looks of your tank for a few days, but you will hate yourself for having developed a lifelong allergy to this stuff if you do!
You make a great point about having some gloves, I will add that in the description.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Glut is a disinfectant with double formaldehyde bonds. SeaChem sells it as a carbon source, but it’s likely more effective as an algaecide. Regardless of its claim, plants grow better without algae blocking the foliage. Healthy plants don’t get algae. Before I have CO2, I had to dose glut daily to keep the foliage clean. With CO2, plants fight off bba on their own. My plants are generally clean, but bba still grow on the hardscape, so I spot treat with peroxide during WC. I still dose glut whenever my plants look unhappy say when I return from vacation without feeding my plants for an extended period.

Many low tech or DIY CO2 tanks aren’t in the optimal growing conditions and rely on daily dosage of glut to make plants happy. At diluted to 5x recommended dosage, glut is harmless to fish and human in contact, and it’s unnecessry to wear gloves. But I won’t touch concentrated glut from the bottle with bare hand.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store