Black Ghost Knife Aquarium

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Hey MFK community, I plan on setting up a new aquarium within the next 6 months to 1 year specifically to houses BGK and maybe a few tetras and a fancy pleco, no over stocking. I've researched the fish extensively as it's one I've wanted for years. I'm more looking for real experience with this fish and not just more charts of temp/Ph/KpH/etc. My biggest question would be: 120 gallons for minimum tank mates, or 150 minimum? Tank inspiration pics? Any tank mates that synergize very well with BGK besides just "some tetras"? Filter/heater/flow/lighting suggestions and where to buy them (online preference, live in USA, disabled and hard to leave home too much.)? Substrates, sand or not sand, aquasoil, clay planting substrate?

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Always bigger the better with ghost knives. With more than one you take a risk that they'll fight for dominancy and without enough room -it's usually a short fight that costs the loser it's eyes.I would also recommend something that schools better and swims faster than tetras, like rainbowfish or giant danios. The only tetras that are tough enough are a risk to the ghost knife.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Planted tanks are always best(jungle val, crinum calamistratum, javans ect.), they appreciate sand (being scale less) High temps with lots of aeration/heavy filtration. I use a 3 stage filter w/a bio wheel. I'd also recommend setting up a sponge filter. Attempt to set up a shrimp/amphipod colony before adding them. If you don't already have them -buy all the knives small together instead of one at a time.

Reactions: Supalah17

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Planted tanks are always best(jungle val, crinum calamistratum, javans ect.), they appreciate sand (being scale less) High temps with lots of aeration/heavy filtration. I use a 3 stage filter w/a bio wheel. I'd also recommend setting up a sponge filter. Attempt to set up a shrimp/amphipod colony before adding them. If you don't already have them -buy all the knives small together instead of one at a time.
Only planning on 1 BGK as the centerpiece fish, so no risk from multiples. I have a 125g right now but it's heavily stocked with cichlids that would probably eat anything else I put in with them, so I won't be getting the BGK until my new tank is set up and cycled! I definitely try and have all of my tanks somewhat heavily planted. So would one BGK and some Bosemani Rainbows and possibly a fire or TT eel, be suitable for a 120? I know the 120 gives them more turning room over a 125. I've seen people keep them single species in 75g tanks but that seems so small for such a long fish...

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Oh also I've been running Fluval FX6s on all my tanks over 100g, I like the overkill and the flow they add for most of my fish. Also have a couple air stones in each tank, but I feel like these guys might need a couple bubble wands at least for proper oxygen? Might DIY a sponge for an FX6 if that seems reasonable. Also what's the reasoning in the shrimp colony, I feel like they'd all just end up as food, or is that the point?

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hi there! :)

A good planted tank would definitely be awesome! What I'd recommend is two areas of structure, such as wood that's planted up in either corner or branching along the back then leaving an area open for swimming and feeding. A dimly lit tank would be ideal, plants such as mosses, cryptocorynes, java fern and anubias would be ideal and can survive under lower-medium light :)

I wouldn't recommend rainbows being hardwater fish and BGK coming from softer amazon rivers and such. Larger heavy body tetras similar to bleeding hearts would definitely be cool! Lots of choices but make sure they get big enough to avoid being dinner!

Glad to see someone really prepping for knives, I'm keeping a group of African knives, on this setup:
1510509247507834994120.jpg

They hide a lot but you see them darting around from time to time. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Supalah17

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Hi there! :)

A good planted tank would definitely be awesome! What I'd recommend is two areas of structure, such as wood that's planted up in either corner or branching along the back then leaving an area open for swimming and feeding. A dimly lit tank would be ideal, plants such as mosses, cryptocorynes, java fern and anubias would be ideal and can survive under lower-medium light :)

I wouldn't recommend rainbows being hardwater fish and BGK coming from softer amazon rivers and such. Larger heavy body tetras similar to bleeding hearts would definitely be cool! Lots of choices but make sure they get big enough to avoid being dinner!

Glad to see someone really prepping for knives, I'm keeping a group of African knives, on this setup:
View attachment 1283900

They hide a lot but you see them darting around from time to time. Hope this helps!
I always try and research my fish thuroughly before getting them, I made several mistakes when setting up my first couple tanks and lost a lot of good fish... not chances I'm gonna take again. Any thoughts on putting them with a larger spiny eel? Fire or TT? I've seen videos of people doing that, but it's hard to tell how well something actually works from a silent, 2 minute YouTube video

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
120g or 150g is fine. As for tankmates, I had mine with Serpae Tetras before and found a few of them with one eye. I had some Buenos Aires Tetras in my planted tank to find all the new growth being nipped away. I think you would find Neons dwindling down as time rolls on. So it might be trial and error to find the right Tetra for you. I love Congo Tetras, but not sure how they would be with a BGK (should be fine, but not sure if they would end up like the Serpae). If Tetras aren't set in stone, Denison Barbs would look great with a BGK! Angel Fish and Discus also come to mind.

As for decor, lots of hiding spots so it can explore and pick it's territory. Plants are always a plus, but I'd focus on the hardscape making sure the rocks aren't jagged...smooth stones/boulders with some driftwood and simple plants such as Anubias and Java Fern always looks good. Any substrate will do. I prefer sand and I would go aquasoil (even though it's a bit pricey) over clay planting substrate just due to the soft/smooth texture.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I agree with what Ben said.
As for TT or Fire eels, both of those species will reach 30" and thus way too big for the size of tank you're looking at. I don't know generally how spiny eels do with knife fish, but size-wise you should have a look at Mastacembelus Dayi or M. Tinwini.

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store