New wolf fish not eating

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I picked up a new 6 inch wolf fish yesterday. He was picked up from the wholesaler to the guy I bought him from. Transport time from wholesaler to me getting the fish into the tank was about 3 hours. Just mentioning this as I'm not sure if this was an issue.

He's in a 37 gallon cycled tank alone. I kept the lights off for 24 hours and today turned on the room light and he swam to the bottom. Next I fed him bloodworms expecting him to pounce at the tweezers. Instead nothing. just laid there at the bottom. Then I left the lights off thinking the light may have shocked him and returned after 45 minutes and the food is still there and he's in the same position.

My gut tells me something is off. Or could this be normal transplant shock behavior?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Glad to hear Irecruitfish Irecruitfish !

My only suggestion would be to try and get some pellets or cut up fish. Much better and nutritious than bloodworms.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I'll try carnivore pellets that I have. I'm a complete rookie when it comes to cut up fish. Any more tips surrounding this? Fyi I do not eat fish. I've always found the smell repulsive.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not much as they aren’t difficult fish to keep. Keep the water clean as ur nitrates will go up as you feed and the fish get bigger.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Not much as they aren’t difficult fish to keep. Keep the water clean as ur nitrates will go up as you feed and the fish get bigger.
K thanks...so should I buy fish such as tilapia and cut it up after it's thawed and directly feed or do you need to grill it first?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
K thanks...so should I buy fish such as tilapia and cut it up after it's thawed and directly feed or do you need to grill it first?
No need to cook it. Can throw some in after being thawed out. If you can get it on a pellet it’ll be easier and cheaper probably in the long run if bought in bulk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store