Pleco with fire eel and BGK in 350g tank

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
For my tanks that arent directly plumbed, I just drain using a long hose directly into a drain. For filling I use RO water that I remineralize. It fills 2 ~40 gallon bins that have a pump attached to them.

I dont trust our water so I want full control over it.
Do you buy RO water from a LFS? I couldn't afford that for all the tanks I'm running :/

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Does that handle refilling too? I've always used a siphon and buckets, also would need to stretch about 100ft to reach the nearest drain/sink. Does it have in line dechlorinator or something (I live in a city and our water is about as bad as flint Michigan at this point...)
I believe the XL is the 100' version

https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Pyth...276&sr=1-1&keywords=python+water+changer&th=1

to dechlorinate just add prime to the tank, I usually use twice recommended amount but this is a LIFE SAVER or atleast a back saver. I wouldn't have fish without this

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
I believe the XL is the 100' version

https://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B0002DI07K/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1513021276&sr=1-1&keywords=python+water+changer&th=1

to dechlorinate just add prime to the tank, I usually use twice recommended amount but this is a LIFE SAVER or atleast a back saver. I wouldn't have fish without this
Well I have 3 fused vertebrae and 5 blown disks thanks to Afghanistan, so anything that doesn't leave me in agony 7 days a week sounds like heaven on earth!! But even if I had to do it in a wheel chair I would never give up my fish lol

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
Well I have 3 fused vertebrae and 5 blown disks thanks to Afghanistan, so anything that doesn't leave me in agony 7 days a week sounds like heaven on earth!! But even if I had to do it in a wheel chair I would never give up my fish lol
I dont have those problems, but thats why ive been switching over everything to drilled tanks. I turn a valve to drain, and then flip a switch to fill. And mix the water to the same TDS/hardness as before).

You dont have to be handy. The water trough is just 2x4s screwed together, then the inside has some 1/2" plywood and then just put in a pond liner. The RO/DI is super easy to hook up.

Reactions: Supalah17

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
I dont have those problems, but thats why ive been switching over everything to drilled tanks. I turn a valve to drain, and then flip a switch to fill. And mix the water to the same TDS/hardness as before).

You dont have to be handy. The water trough is just 2x4s screwed together, then the inside has some 1/2" plywood and then just put in a pond liner. The RO/DI is super easy to hook up.
At this point I'm planning on just having a hose running from each filter to a floor drain, I use all FX6s so I just turn a valve to drain, and then I'm going to have a hose I can move tank to tank to refill, just gonna put in an in-line tube of carbon and stuff to cut the chlorine/heavy metals. Eventually I'll have it all plumbed, but this project is going to take several years, especially with as slow as I move these days.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I've got a form of muscular dystrophy so I feel you I won't give my fish up for anything either they are how I deal with my stress

At this point I'm planning on just having a hose running from each filter to a floor drain, I use all FX6s so I just turn a valve to drain, and then I'm going to have a hose I can move tank to tank to refill, just gonna put in an in-line tube of carbon and stuff to cut the chlorine/heavy metals. Eventually I'll have it all plumbed, but this project is going to take several years, especially with as slow as I move these days.
I think the inline carbon filter doesn't remove the chlorine very well because the flow rate is too high so you still have to use prime

Reactions: Supalah17

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
I've got a form of muscular dystrophy so I feel you I won't give my fish up for anything either they are how I deal with my stress

I think the inline carbon filter doesn't remove the chlorine very well because the flow rate is too high so you still have to use prime
Fair enough, I usually have a couple gallons of DeChlor around anyway. Any suggestions on lighting? I'm planning on using low light plants, crypts, weeping moss, anubias and possibly some frogbit floating on top, with Jungle Val making up the background. Tha tank is going to be most focused around the three nocturnal fish (BGK, Fire Eel, Royal), so I don't want strong lights, just enough to keep the plants happy. (I know there are better places to ask this, but I figured you may know and you've already been super helpful, so why not ask)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store