Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Love the sketches. You should try charcoal for a medium. That's all I use I love it. Have you taken classes or just naturally talented like me

View attachment 1290166
Thanks! I really like yours too. You are definitely naturally talented. You can create dept and textures with your shading. The dog’s ear looks real! Shading is something I’ve always struggled with. I haven’t taken classes, but I did have art class in elementary school. Does that count? I always thought if I did take a class, then I could be really good. Haven’t tried charcoal yet. I do really like pastels though.

Love the mistletoe on the angler, although, I'd rather not kiss under that mistletoe through fear of losing my lips :D
Thanks! Believe it or not, the angler fish (with the mistletoe too) was a request from my boss. It is a pretty funny concept.

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
Thanks! I really like yours too. You are definitely naturally talented. You can create dept and textures with your shading. The dog’s ear looks real! Shading is something I’ve always struggled with. I haven’t taken classes, but I did have art class in elementary school. Does that count? I always thought if I did take a class, then I could be really good. Haven’t tried charcoal yet. I do really like pastels though.

Thanks! Believe it or not, the angler fish (with the mistletoe too) was a request from my boss. It is a pretty funny concept.
Thank you very much. With charcoal you can use a eraser as a tool to creat dept. Also look into grid drawing. It's where you put a grid over the picture and create the same grid on your paper. Then use the grid to draw the basic outline.

Reactions: clm08k

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
If you use chalk pastel, I find that virtually identical to drawing with charcoal, although it is a little less precise and more easily smudged than charcoal. One you start with charcoal, You'll never want to stop. It is so much faster, and offers so many more tones than pencil it's not even fair to compare them.

Reactions: clm08k and reefman

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
The more you draw something the better you get at it. From your first to now youve gotten better with shading. Good job keep it up. I look at my old drawings compared to my recent and it's night and day

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store