Need help

Reichgirl2010

Feeder Fish
Jan 9, 2018
One of my Oscars skin in coming off and I just did a water change yesterday !! And. It's got worse??? Today!!! What do I do its a 60 gallon tank?? 3 filters and one round bubbler!!!

IMG_7491.JPG

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Looks like he has scraped it squeezing through a gap maybe?
Any tank mates at all?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
His fins are torn, someone bullying him?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Welcome to the forum btw, odd that you didn't get any replies sooner?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Its because its in the wrong sub, looks like ammonia burn or some other water quality issue to me.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Fins don't look torn to me, they look to be deteriorating from poor water quality. Which is probably the cause of the skin condition as well. Tank is small for this fish, so without exceptional maintenance water quality can easily slip.

How often do you do water changes on this tank, how large are the changes, do you test your water and if so what are parameters for nitrite, nitrate, ammonia?

Reactions: Trimapit

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
Looks like another Oscar is biting its side, his pectoral fins are ripped up also. I had a couple Ocars that did that when I wasn't around. I spied on em one day and seen the bigger one kind of like punching the other in the side with his mouth leaving a ton of scales missing. your water does look a little cloudy but if your parameters were that far off to burn him that bad he would probably be a bit lethargic. More info on tank and tank mates will help a lot.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
One of my Oscars skin in coming off and I just did a water change yesterday !! And. It's got worse??? Today!!! What do I do its a 60 gallon tank?? 3 filters and one round bubbler!!!

View attachment 1293062
Op in your post you state"one of my oscars"

Assuming you only have two oscars and they are both in the same tank,that gives each Oscar 30 gallons. Probably less with water displacement from gravel,rocks etc.

Whatever the issue is with your oscars side I can not say for sure but I will assume it is a water quality issue that is the route of the problem.
To properly maintain 1 adult Oscar healthily in 60 gallons takes dedication, two or more I believe will ultimately suffer.
I don't mean to be negative but I would find smaller fish to keep in your tank,two or more?will be very cramped and restricted in your current set up.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with stanzzzz7, a 60 gal tank is too small for just 1 oscar, much less 2.
So it could be a combination of all the above reactions to your post.
With 2 oscars in a 60 gal tank, you should be changing a significant amount of water every day, no matter what the amount of filtration to keep them healthy(at least 40%, as long as you keep them in that tank). They are swimming in fish urine soup now.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store