Freshwater Tank With Sand

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Hi,
I was wondering if there is a good aquarium sand for my 75 gallon freshwater aquarium... Also what would be the cheapest price for bulk preferably and how much would i need?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I have used play sand from home depot before, probably the cheapest sand you will find. Put it in a bucket and wash it good before putting it in your tank. It will probably still cloud your water until it settles. I know a lot of people use pool filter sand as well and it is probably a bit better and cleaner.

I have this sand in my tanks right now:
https://www.bigalspets.com/estes-stoney-river-premium-aquarium-sands.html?sku=29000
And I love it. A larger grain than the play sand, so I can actually gravel-vac it pretty well as long as I crimp the hose when the sand nears the top of the wide end.

Reactions: tlindsey

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I like pool filter sand. You can find it at pool supply stores. I think I paid $8 for 50lbs. Ive never had to clean it either, just dump it in.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Generally 1lb of sand per gallon will get you 1" of substrate.

I have used playsand, and it was oily, and required a lot of rinsing. I did not like how much it compacts even at 1-1.5". I would get anaerobic pockets where methance gas would build up from time to time, basically it temporarily turned the sand black in those spots. If you have a canister, you would need a prefilter on the intakes, especially if you have sand digging fish. It's also pretty light and can get sucked up easily by the siphon of the gravel hose.

My preference is #22 sized silica sand, which is the general size for pool filter sand in my area. It's big enough that it doesn't get thrown around easily or sucked by the gravel vacuum.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
thanks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with pool filter sand being the best option, I tried play sand first, but found with large fish, play sand can easily be stirred up, get in, and ruin filters, and pumps.
Pool filter sand is heavier, with a density chosen to be back washed and quickly sink so not as apt to grind away impellers and such.
I buy mine from an abrasives retailer who provides sand to water filtration plants, for about $5 per 50 lbs.
It can also be bought a pool supply retailers.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
could you give a link by any chance?

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
this one i guess the link doesn't work quite right...
HTH 50lbs Pool Filter Sand (61308)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store