Tankmates for Bichir

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
My main concern in all of this is whether or not I will get bored, I have an extreme interest in fish but I’m worried with a wet pet in might get bored. But I feel like bichir are interesting fish that are not only interactive but their behavior is fun. Just not sure about having a single red devil or hartwegi and how fun that will be. I also wonder if having a cichlid and bichir will be more fun than just bichir.

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
I just want a fish that doesn’t have to be active but has to have interesting behavior like it’s always doing something but it doesn’t have be swimming around all the time. Also I want it to be a “monster” for a 75 gallon

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Unfortunately no, no space. 4ft is best I can do
could you do a 120 it is 48x24x24? Also if your looking for some tankmates that are fun to watch in the 120 you could do a black spotted eel with your bichirs they can easily be trained to take nightcrawlers from your hand. You could also do several elephant nose which are a blast to watch it is best described as a bunch of dolphins playing. You could also do an Afer knifefish unlike most south american knifefish they are out and about a lot but can have an attitude(mine is named jackass).

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
What could I keep with a Senegal Bichir in a 75 gallon. Sorry if what you said above was for a 75

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What could I keep with a Senegal Bichir in a 75 gallon. Sorry if what you said above was for a 75
Senegals or Delhezi are fine for a 75.

What about discus or a schooling fish?
Don't even think about discus, the amount of maintenance they require isn't at all fun without the proper setup so I'd avoid them.

Thing is, you've got to find something you like. We can't spoon feed you

Reactions: magpie

Cichlidsforlife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2018
True, really it’s between a Midas cichlid or a bichir, I would like to keep the bichir with two acara or two bichir with one acara. If that is advisable

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
with a sen in a 75 you could do a polli and delhezi(both active bichirs) 4-8 elephant nose and probably a couple african knives(I believe they are out more than most knives but Hendre Hendre is our expert) I don't know the 1st thing about cichlids I've never kept any I've always gone for the oddballs and predators. The only "normal fish" I've kept is that would work are giant green Yucatan mollies but their babies would probably disappear however if the bichirs are well fed I've had population explosions go unchecked

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store