Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Good morning MFK!

As the website has started to come back to life over the past year or so, the awards program has enjoyed a similar upswing in activity.

As such, I've been keeping an eye on the various awards for which members have been nominated, and I have noticed a trend that I wish to attempt to arrest.

Nearly every award for which someone was nominated was a contributor award. The initial intent of this award was to recognize members who contributed to the improvement of the overall knowledge base of the community.

However, these awards have come to be used to recognize those individuals who are active contributors to discussions in the community. While an understandable trend, this isn't what I had in mind.

With the blessing of the community, I wish to appropriate my Achievement and Commendation medal icons (with a new gold level) to become the contributor awards, with the current contributor award icons to be used for those individuals who have made some sort of scientific contribution to the community.

The main motivation here is to get a little variety to the icons people have beside their names, we could potentially have more than just books and cameras lol.

neoprodigy neoprodigy JK47 JK47 Oddball Oddball Gr8KarmaSF Gr8KarmaSF benzjamin13 benzjamin13 Aquanero Aquanero Chaitika Chaitika Pharaoh Pharaoh UnstoppableJayD UnstoppableJayD koltsixx koltsixx

(I know I'm forgetting something off our active staff, please tag!)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
It's been brought to my attention that my intention isn't really clear.

Basically, there's two types of people who make a difference on this site: nerds like me who dig up and contribute new nerdy stuff and post it for the group, and gregarious persons who are constantly engaging people, sharing links, and generally contributing to the overall activity and betterment of the site.

There's two types of contribution to this site, I propose to split the contributor awards into two separate but equal awards to recognize this dichotomy.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Think it's the only way to get people to use them properly. A lot of people who deserve the high end rewards justifiably already have them. I would also require evidence for the science stuff in the initial post of recommendation. This seems less important for the the active posters award. I would, as an admin, make requirements like that and close threads that don't attempt to meet them, so you don't have to explain what went wrong without looking like you are taking sides against the potential recipient. I would also evaluate some of the previous rewards, no offense to him but jaws comes to mind.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I like and support the idea. Those who push the limits and boundaries of the hobby have achieve a tick ahead of those who promote and spread the word. Both are deserving of recognition yet one is ahead of the pack. Please make a gold sump or plumbing icon ;)

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I like and support the idea. Those who push the limits and boundaries of the hobby have achieve a tick ahead of those who promote and spread the word. Both are deserving of recognition yet one is ahead of the pack. Please make a gold sump or plumbing icon ;)
I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of community awards with this in mind. Activity is clearly critical to getting new members posting and maintaining a friendly environment. I look at how the poly section has evolved in the past 5 years and how it's related to the members within as opposed to hobby changes or advancements.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I always say that this program belongs to the members, not me. I just protect the integrity of the system and issue the awards once it's done.

Clearly, as the system is designed, it's not meeting the expectations of the community. You all seem to want a way to recognize the active people who drive discussions.

I wish to facilitate the desire to recognize these people, hence this thread.

In retrospect, I can see how a bunch of people who already have a contributor award likely would be appropriately split to the gregarious version (I need to think up a name for it)

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Think it's the only way to get people to use them properly. A lot of people who deserve the high end rewards justifiably already have them. I would also require evidence for the science stuff in the initial post of recommendation. This seems less important for the the active posters award. I would, as an admin, make requirements like that and close threads that don't attempt to meet them, so you don't have to explain what went wrong without looking like you are taking sides against the potential recipient. I would also evaluate some of the previous rewards, no offense to him but jaws comes to mind.
No offense taken brother you should have felt comfortable enough to vote against it at the time. Chicxulub Chicxulub maybe the nominations should have a poll set up so that members in this situation can anonymously vote and not feel pressured to support someone that they are friendly with.

That said i nominated 4 or 5 members in the past and i feel that based on the criteria those nominations were valid.

I guess im a little confused it seems like the awards are meeting the criteria. I would think that if gold medals were being handed out easily it would kind of water down the award system but looking back it doesnt seem like that to me. I was planning on submitting a nomination but will hold off until this gets ironed out.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
The whole point of this is to have everything transparent, I want everything out there and up front so everyone on this site has a say in what happens. The intent is for people like Woefulrelic Woefulrelic to be able to speak their piece when need be so that if an award isn't deserved to be given, it isn't. There's been plenty that haven't made the criteria for whom their thread was deleted with no award issued.

There's no real issue with the system itself to cause this thread, I personally consider it to work. I just want to create a new award category to recognize both types of contribution a member can make.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
The whole point of this is to have everything transparent, I want everything out there and up front so everyone on this site has a say in what happens. The intent is for people like Woefulrelic Woefulrelic to be able to speak their piece when need be so that if an award isn't deserved to be given, it isn't. There's been plenty that haven't made the criteria for whom their thread was deleted with no award issued.

There's no real issue with the system itself to cause this thread, I personally consider it to work. I just want to create a new award category to recognize both types of contribution a member can make.

I think either way we all trust your judgement in how you think the categories should look

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store