Sump and Plumbing for my 535. Need help

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Thank you sir. Just added a whole new layer of consideration into this project. Dragon Hunter Dragon Hunter vame by last night and I think I decided to run black ABS 45 degree elbows pointing upward with a low profile strainer attached to them. This will “buy me around an inch or a little more and thus eliminate my issue. Have to go source the pieces now.
Definitely check out the first link I posted a few pages back. They had a lot of black fittings. Also, I’m pretty sure you can get the low profile strainers from Bulk Reef Supply.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Definitely check out the first link I posted a few pages back. They had a lot of black fittings. Also, I’m pretty sure you can get the low profile strainers from Bulk Reef Supply.
Just went into the links. I’ll make an order with BRS today. The other one is out of stock on black elbows.

Thanks for the help Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis !

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
BRS has black elbows too. They are formufit
Thank you sir. Could only find schedule 80 elbows at 45 degrees. I’m assuming they’ll be grey?

Would the black abs elbows from Home Depot work?

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Decided I’m going to run a four sock setup with four 7” socks and use seachem matrix as my bio media. I had a few questions for you all.

1. How many liters of matrix should I use for the 535? I’m going to have a decent bio load and want something that can hold up. I have 12 liters being seeded right now in the sump for my 280. Wondering how much more I’ll need. I’ll have some Poret Foam as well but mostly to serve as barriers between sump chambers.

2. Can I run the Laguna 2900 without the big bulky housing? Has anyone done it? It’ll fit way better in the sump area for the pump if I removed the housing but don’t want to compromise the pump.

3. Does anyone have tips on how to drill into acrylic with a diamond edge hole saw?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Decided I’m going to run a four sock setup with four 7” socks and use seachem matrix as my bio media. I had a few questions for you all.

1. How many liters of matrix should I use for the 535? I’m going to have a decent bio load and want something that can hold up. I have 12 liters being seeded right now in the sump for my 280. Wondering how much more I’ll need. I’ll have some Poret Foam as well but mostly to serve as barriers between sump chambers.

2. Can I run the Laguna 2900 without the big bulky housing? Has anyone done it? It’ll fit way better in the sump area for the pump if I removed the housing but don’t want to compromise the pump.

3. Does anyone have tips on how to drill into acrylic with a diamond edge hole saw?
I have never drilled acrylic but have drilled glass. I would highly recommend making a stencil that you lock into place for whatever you are drilling. This way you can focus on drilling and not attempting to keep the drill from sliding everywhere.

Have you started plotting out the plumbing for the ultima yet? Really curious to see some pics of how you do it. I need to start planning this piece but I have several months before my tank comes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store