12x8x8

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Let nitrates slip and an infection toom hold, even after bleaching and cleaning the whole tank as well as a cull lf sick ones I lost most...
As long as you still have some can always rebuild the colony...

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
convict360 convict360 Hendre Hendre hows the shrimp tanks looking and any updates???

Picked up some new shrimp myself to add to the collection...

View attachment 1295057
Those look cracking! Unfortunately my shrimp tanks aren't set up just now, I gave my friend my PBL's to see if he could have any better success breeding them, time will tell!

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
convict360 convict360 Hendre Hendre hows the shrimp tanks looking and any updates???

Picked up some new shrimp myself to add to the collection...

View attachment 1295057
Those look cracking! Unfortunately my shrimp tanks aren't set up just now, I gave my friend my PBL's to see if he could have any better success breeding them, time will tell!

Reactions: Fat Homer

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Here are my little dirted and planted tanks. The 10g is just plants (English ivy, lucky bamboo, wandering jew, inchplant, moneywort, foxtail.), The Coffee jar has pond/bladder snails, christmas tree moss, moneywort, atouch of ivy, and an unknown native plant, the soda bottle has MTS, the same unknown plant and moss, and the mini grapejuice bottle just has the moss and ivy. They only get sunlight; the lamp is just for show ;)

Group picture:

t1.JPG
10g:
t2.JPG
Soda bottle:
t3.JPG
Mini grapejuice bottle:
t4.JPG
Coffee jar:
t5.JPG t2.JPG t3.JPG t4.JPG t5.JPG

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Here are my little dirted and planted tanks. The 10g is just plants (English ivy, lucky bamboo, wandering jew, inchplant, moneywort, foxtail.), The Coffee jar has pond/bladder snails, christmas tree moss, moneywort, atouch of ivy, and an unknown native plant, the soda bottle has MTS, the same unknown plant and moss, and the mini grapejuice bottle just has the moss and ivy. They only get sunlight; the lamp is just for show ;)

Group picture:

View attachment 1308789
10g:
View attachment 1308790
Soda bottle:
View attachment 1308791
Mini grapejuice bottle:
View attachment 1308792
Coffee jar:
View attachment 1308793 View attachment 1308790 View attachment 1308791 View attachment 1308792 View attachment 1308793
Those little jars just gave me an awesome idea for mothers day! Thanks :D

How do you feed the plants in them? Is it just nutrients from the soil or do you use other ferts as well? I assume eventually other ferts would be needed as the nutrients in the soil was used up, but do you use any to start them up? :)

Reactions: convict360

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I believe that people usually just cap sifted compost/soil with gravel and that's it! Seems to work well for some :)

Reactions: convict360

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I believe that people usually just cap sifted compost/soil with gravel and that's it! Seems to work well for some :)
Thanks. Hopefully I can get it to work so I can cheap out on a mothers day gift. :D

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Those little jars just gave me an awesome idea for mothers day! Thanks :D

How do you feed the plants in them? Is it just nutrients from the soil or do you use other ferts as well? I assume eventually other ferts would be needed as the nutrients in the soil was used up, but do you use any to start them up? :)
I just used potting soil covered with gravel. Sand works better than gravel, but I didn't have any on hand.
I didn't put in any ferts, but I do a 100% WC every week with dirty water from my other tank, to try and raise the nitrate.
If you set up a jar, don't put in any big rocks unless you can put your whole hand in; I had to remove the rock in the coffee jar even though it looked nice because it made it impossible to trim the moss. I use pencils to move the plants around and plant them.
I find that dirt alone is enough to grow any plant I've tried, without ferts.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I just used potting soil covered with gravel. Sand works better than gravel, but I didn't have any on hand.
I didn't put in any ferts, but I do a 100% WC every week with dirty water from my other tank, to try and raise the nitrate.
If you set up a jar, don't put in any big rocks unless you can put your whole hand in; I had to remove the rock in the coffee jar even though it looked nice because it made it impossible to trim the moss. I use pencils to move the plants around and plant them.
I find that dirt alone is enough to grow any plant I've tried, without ferts.
Ahh. Mum doesn't have a tank any more and I'm moving soon so I won't be able to give her my tank water..

Would it work if were to crush a small amount of NLS pellets to a fine powder and tell her to sprinkle a tiny bit in every other day? Surely the pellet powder breaking down would have a similar effect right? :)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Ahh. Mum doesn't have a tank any more and I'm moving soon so I won't be able to give her my tank water..

Would it work if were to crush a small amount of NLS pellets to a fine powder and tell her to sprinkle a tiny bit in every other day? Surely the pellet powder breaking down would have a similar effect right? :)
I don't think it's needed; It's just what I do. I have snails in 2 of the jars and don't feed them - I think the water has enough nitrate for them to find algae. Food should work too, but too much might crash the jar - they are very small. Maybe feed them every other week a teeny bit? I'm no expert.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store