12x8x8

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Betta Channoides are fun to keep!!! Love their personalities...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I sent to link to Wes a few weeks ago, although I'm sure he got it. I'll send it to him again when I make my next order.
See what happens... coz hes probably going to be your best bet from Hong Kong side that would be willing to ship overseas...

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Betta Channoides are fun to keep!!! Love their personalities...
Would breeding them be a reasonable goal?
See what happens... coz hes probably going to be your best bet from Hong Kong side that would be willing to ship overseas...
I also emailed two other online stores that I know sold Stiphodon annieae in the past. Hopefully someone has them or can get them.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Would breeding them be a reasonable goal?
I would say yes, seems they are fairly easy to breed and males / females are easy to sex...

I personally didnt even purposely try to breed them and within a month or so noticed they started to do mating dance and wasnt long from there the female was passing the eggs to the male...

Overall i think they bred about 3 or 4 times over the course of around 2.5 years...

The store i got them from even said his showed signs of breeding constantly except he kept selling them off...

Reactions: Angelphish

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I've been quite busy recently, so I have a few updates on the 16.

The Rhinogobius sp. Red Lips and the male Sineleotris passed away within the first couple of weeks. At the time nothing appeared to be wrong with the water, with the only thing being somewhat abnormal was the pH at 6.3. I read that Sineleotris were somewhat delicate, and after the male Sineleotris passed, I ordered pH and TDS pens to use rather than the liquid test kits, so I could get a more accurate reading. After calibrating the pH pen, it read 5.45, rather than 6.3 like the liquid test kit had. This was surprising to see, as API kits will give a yellow reading if the pH is 6.0 or below, whereas mine gave a slightly green reading. I discussed this with Wes so he knew it wasn't because there was something wrong with his fish.

Since then, I've been heavily monitoring the pH to make sure it stays around 7.0 with the CO2 on. I'm even considering programming my raspberry pi to act as an aquarium controller that would monitor and correct the pH for me.

Thankfully, since I learned about the issue with the pH and attended it, it's been hovering around 7, and Gary, the female Sineleotris and the Cories have all been doing well.

Fat Homer Fat Homer convict360 convict360 Hendre Hendre Wetspot currently has Hemigrammus coeruleus in, and I'm considering a school of 6-10 for the 16, as they're colorful enough to be eye catching, but so colorful that they're tacky. Along with that, they are, of course, rare. Any thoughts or past experiences with these fish?

If I can get my parents' approval, I'm also to use the 20 long to breed betta channoides or Betta albimarginata. convict360 convict360 If you don't mind, the aquascape would likely be a rip off of one of yours. I plan to use seachem flourite red for the color, size, and shape, dragon stone, and a small piece of driftwood. The plants would mostly consist of common low tech plants. I'm not fully sure on all the plants I want to use, although I do plan to at least have dwarf sagittaria, as I like the thin carpet it creates. I would temporarily set up the smaller (2.5, 3, 4 gallon) tanks for the fry every time the bettas bred. Thoughts?
I don't have experience with the fish mentioned, however Betta channoides is something I've mused with breeding before; would be great to see it done!

By all means take inspiration from scapes, I'm flattered you like mine; as I'm a rank novice in that field :) Good shout on the sag, I also like bucephalandra, crypts, anubias and java needle fern is probably my overall favourite.

Regarding the betta fry, not sure about channoides, but for splendens I've seen them grown out in a larger tank for a while before being split up, it might be doable in smaller tanks but you may see some cannibalism or difficulty maintaining the water I'd imagine, depending on fry numbers.

Do you have a live food source? I always recommend microworms, super easy to establish a culture and they last for months with virtually no attention needed. If you need more info on them just say and I can explain how I set them up

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I don't have experience with the fish mentioned, however Betta channoides is something I've mused with breeding before; would be great to see it done!

By all means take inspiration from scapes, I'm flattered you like mine; as I'm a rank novice in that field :) Good shout on the sag, I also like bucephalandra, crypts, anubias and java needle fern is probably my overall favourite.

Regarding the betta fry, not sure about channoides, but for splendens I've seen them grown out in a larger tank for a while before being split up, it might be doable in smaller tanks but you may see some cannibalism or difficulty maintaining the water I'd imagine, depending on fry numbers.

Do you have a live food source? I always recommend microworms, super easy to establish a culture and they last for months with virtually no attention needed. If you need more info on them just say and I can explain how I set them up
I would likely use blackworms for the adults, and as you said, microworms for the fry.

I don't have any of the live food set up yet, as I don't even have the tank ready. It's currently running as a bare bottom quarantine.

Reactions: convict360

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
convict360 convict360 Hendre Hendre hows the shrimp tanks looking and any updates???

Picked up some new shrimp myself to add to the collection...

IMG_7928.JPG

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Shrimp are dead as doornails. Just have a few females since the infection it seems, can't see many.

I'm setting up 2x 15 gallon tanks soon, possibly for endlers and something else but not all too sure yet.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Shrimp are dead as doornails. Just have a few females since the infection it seems, can't see many.

I'm setting up 2x 15 gallon tanks soon, possibly for endlers and something else but not all too sure yet.
Really? What happened???

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Let nitrates slip and an infection toom hold, even after bleaching and cleaning the whole tank as well as a cull lf sick ones I lost most...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store