Might be the wrong forum- but what are your favorite large barbs for CA/SA cichlids

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
title says it all-

Looking for fish larger than Denison’s/torpedoes, thinking Spanner Barb would be the smallest considered.

So for standard 6x18 or 6x2
Anyone keeping any intersting schools in their cichlid tanks, mixed schools, single species school or solo oddball -

Pics and experiences welcomed

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I like filament Barbs. They get pretty big and have nice color. Masceras are nice too, bit I haven't kept them.
Thanks for the reply-

I do like those.
Was thinking larger than that- like tinfoil, hard lipped, hampala sp. LabeoBarbus sp.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
It looks like a more colorful Tbarb/spanner.

What’s the group size?
- I want a fish that I don’t need a huge group of for success.

Been looking for maybe 1 larger growing plus a trio something like that or spanner. If they can hang in small groups.
Also considering Chalceus, kept a very skittish singleton but thinking a group may be less jumpy

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
It looks like a more colorful Tbarb/spanner.

What’s the group size?
- I want a fish that I don’t need a huge group of for success.

Been looking for maybe 1 larger growing plus a trio something like that or spanner. If they can hang in small groups.
Also considering Chalceus, kept a very skittish singleton but thinking a group may be less jumpy
Chalceus are characidae. Not sure if you are looking for dithers, but they stay near the surface. Barbs of any kind probably be a better choice for dithers. Most species are pretty easy to maintain.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Chalceus are characidae. Not sure if you are looking for dithers, but they stay near the surface. Barbs of any kind probably be a better choice for dithers. Most species are pretty easy to maintain.
Just looking to add something that isn’t a cat or cichlid- has some size-
And can hang toughness wise in either a CA or SA community-
Chalceus was kind of my outlying option, that I’ve had some experience with but only solo.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Just looking to add something that isn’t a cat or cichlid- has some size-
And can hang toughness wise in either a CA or SA community-
Chalceus was kind of my outlying option, that I’ve had some experience with but only solo.
In that case they would be good.

For toughness I would consider any kind of astyanax tetra. These things are tough as nails. In fact chase cichlids sometimes. They are hard to find though. Don’t make good community fish, only good w/ cichlids, maybe other large tetras like SD etc. I tried adding some 3” swordtails and they were ripped apart before I could save them. They are fast and frenzy like piranhas.

Reactions: dan518
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store