Need advice on first saltwater/reef tank

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I hoping to set-up my first saltwater aquarium within the next month and need some advice on tank size. I'm looking at two options right now: a 10 and a 30 gallon. I definitely want some soft corals and ocellaris (more than two if possible). One or two other fish species, such as a goby or Kaudern's cardinalfish, would be a plus. A seahorse pair would be lovely but I don't know if they can kept in a tank that small. I'm curious as to how many fish I can stock in one size versus the other; i.e. will the 30 gallon allow me to keep significantly more fish? (Because otherwise I'll use it for my african cichlids.) Please give me your stocking ideas! Thanks!

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
30 gal would be much better, I don't recommend sea horses but how about the following in a tank with sand substrate and little bit of live rock :1 banded serpent star, a pair of clowns,mushroom coral,1 yellow watchman,and a golden sailfin molly

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
tlindsey tlindsey was on the salt side and maybe have some input.

Reactions: tlindsey

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Are seahorses difficult to keep in aquaria? I could give those up if that's what it would take to make the 10 gallon work. (It actually comes out to about 12 gallons. Not that the extra 2 gallons make a big different, lol.)

I don't think I want starfish and I'd rather get a second goby species, a firefish or a basslet instead of the molly. I like the look of orange stripe prawn and court jester gobies. Would those have similar requirements to a yellow watchman?

Would the following plans be realistic?
12 gallons: 2 or 3 soft corals, ocellaris pair, 1 goby
or 30 gallons: 4 or 5 corals, ocellaris pair, 2 goby species, 1 or 2 firefish

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Are seahorses difficult to keep in aquaria? I could give those up if that's what it would take to make the 10 gallon work. (It actually comes out to about 12 gallons. Not that the extra 2 gallons make a big different, lol.)

I don't think I want starfish and I'd rather get a second goby species, a firefish or a basslet instead of the molly. I like the look of orange stripe prawn and court jester gobies. Would those have similar requirements to a yellow watchman?

Would the following plans be realistic?
12 gallons: 2 or 3 soft corals, ocellaris pair, 1 goby
or 30 gallons: 4 or 5 corals, ocellaris pair, 2 goby species, 1 or 2 firefish

At the time I had a 45 gallon custom made aquarium and decided to turn it into a reef setup I learned as much as possible from the lfs I was employed at. Did not have internet just books and magazines . Seahorses,Mandarin Goby require a constant food source from live rock. Seahorses can be trained to eat frozen Mysis shrimp. I suggest doing thorough research be patient don't rush into it.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Thanks tlindsey. I'm researching now and certainly wouldn't buy an animal before I know enough about it. But I wanted to choose a tank size and get the cycling started while I finalize the species list. My question has more to do with what tank size would be the better option given the species I'd like to keep.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks tlindsey. I'm researching now and certainly wouldn't buy an animal before I know enough about it. But I wanted to choose a tank size and get the cycling started while I finalize the species list. My question has more to do with what tank size would be the better option given the species I'd like to keep.
The 30 would be better, most gobies aren't hard to keep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store