Tank upgrade - need help with sump setup.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
BTW Mrs.E, the valve on the potential e-drain is in case you need to close off for maintenance.

You should decide if you want to combine into sump or leave separate. If there are only two standpipes, I would keep separated and do as Jaws suggested - that's what Id do.

Make sure you use a strainer on siphon overflow to reduce the risk of clogs.

Reactions: jaws7777

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I measured the pipe on the left side the way the picture in that diagram shows and it’s just over 2 1/4”. So that would make it a 2” pipe? I can’t reach the right side pipe at the moment, but they look the same size to me.

And there is only one pipe in each over flow. I marked the picture here to give a better visual. (I need to remember to take a picture at night so there’s no glare)
The yellow shows the size and location of the overflows. The white spot in each one is about where the pipe is. The overflow boxes are the same size, I just suck at drawing on the picture on my tablet.
25BA1B33-7D59-4506-A92C-4AD9487E197F.jpeg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I measured the pipe on the left side the way the picture in that diagram shows and it’s just over 2 1/4”. So that would make it a 2” pipe? I can’t reach the right side pipe at the moment, but they look the same size to me.

And there is only one pipe in each over flow. I marked the picture here to give a better visual. (I need to remember to take a picture at night so there’s no glare)
The yellow shows the size and location of the overflows. The white spot in each one is about where the pipe is. The overflow boxes are the same size, I just suck at drawing on the picture on my tablet.
View attachment 1309467
I don't want you to think that this is the only way or best way to do this, it's what I would do.

So if you do plan on making one drain a siphon and the other an emergency drain we need to get you familiar with the Herbie method and plumbing basics

mrrobxc mrrobxc is currently plumbing one as we speak so take a peak at his thread.

Also these links will be helpful.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aquarium-plumbing-basics/

Reactions: mrrobxc and MrsE88

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
If we use the two existing bulkheads as drains your going to run the returns (plumbing from the pumps) over the back and top into the tank. Easy peasy done with 90° elbows

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Thank you for the advice. I’ll check those threads out and read up on herbie method.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
This, I believe you should consider while adding valves to which side of your drains, since valve will need adjustments sometimes.
I need to move the tank over slightly before we fill it. It’s just a little too close to the side wall. I’ll be sure to put valves where I can reach them for adjusting.
I’m very grateful for all these things being pointed out to me. I honestly would have overlooked all this.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I need to move the tank over slightly before we fill it. It’s just a little too close to the side wall. I’ll be sure to put valves where I can reach them for adjusting.
I’m very grateful for all these things being pointed out to me. I honestly would have overlooked all this.
No worries everyone who frequents this section was in the same place.

Ask tons of questions, read other peoples build threads and ask them questions trust me no one is going to be bothered by it.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Reactions: MrsE88 and mrrobxc

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/180-gallon-planted-discus-tank-undeway.699828/

MrsE88 MrsE88 check out this thread it's not exactly what you would do but pretty close.

Send some time in the filtration section
I really like that setup.
Is there a reason the e drains are going into a different chamber of the sump? Can I have mine go into a filter sock next to the main line?
I might try to re draw up my idea for the plumbing to run by you guys. I want to try my best to know what I need so I can buy everything in one shot.
Another question... is it cheaper to by plumbing supplies online over instore? Of course anything I forget will likely be bought last minute at the local mom and pop shop. But I’d like to get as much as I can at a good price.
I need to write up my shopping list. My husband is getting just as stir crazy as I feel having a tank just sitting empty. Lol
It’s time for me to really get serious and get this plumbing figured out. I tend to drag my feet when I feel in over my head.

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store