Tank upgrade - need help with sump setup.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yes it has small boxes in front of the overflow pipes. Maybe 6”? Not the full length kind I see on most tanks.
View attachment 1309317
Ugh, I can’t get a picture without glare. The biggest downside to having my tanks in the sunroom:/

Unlike the picture in that video, the pipe for mine is in the back. So I’m not sure how the sound will be going through it. I really wish the guy I bought the tank from would have been home for me to talk to. I really wanted a rundown on how he had it set up.
Don't stress we'll be able to figure it. Looks like one drain per overflow. Correct ?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Don't stress we'll be able to figure it. Looks like one drain per overflow. Correct ?
Correct.
I have a feeling I’ll just have to get things up and running the best I can and then tweak it. I’ll do as suggested and have the incoming pipe go down into the water/sump to limit the noise there.

My light just came today, but I’m still waiting on the heater to come and need to gather supplies for the sump and plumbing. That will need to wait till my husband can help me. Now that I have a rough design drawn up he can help me get everything and set it up.

While I wait I need to go hunt down some nice light colored rocks. I already found a nice big branch I want to cut to fit in the tank. I’m just not sure how I want to cut it yet.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
millerkid519 millerkid519 Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis Bigfishnut Bigfishnut and the rest of this section should be able to walk you through this.

I'm a fan of having dry emergency dains but it doesn't look like that's possible with how the tank is drilled.

You can drill more holes into the back panel if there's room and the glass isn't tempered. If that something you want to explore the others can chime.

Or just you use the current drains as is.

Next question is how big are those pipes/bulkheads

Reactions: millerkid519

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
The pipes coming out are 1 1/2in interior and 2” when I measured the outside.
I’d rather not drill the tank. I’m too worried I’d break the glass. And prices for used in my area have gone way higher then I feel is justifiable if I needed to replace it.

Are emergency drains for Incase the main drains get clogged?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I find that with straight standpipes the noise comes from when it's more thank just a trickle but not fully siphoned. That's when it can sound like a flushing toilet .

Yes OP, e-drains are for when primary gets clogged.

Reactions: MrsE88 and jaws7777

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I find that with straight standpipes the noise comes from when it's more thank just a trickle but not fully siphoned. That's when it can sound like a flushing toilet .

Yes OP, e-drains are for when primary gets clogged.
Does the angle of the pipes make a difference?
What I mean is, should the pipes coming from the overflow be angled ( \ ) instead of going straight down ( L ) and then over to the sump? Or does that not factor into how much noise it will make?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Does the angle of the pipes make a difference?
What I mean is, should the pipes coming from the overflow be angled ( \ ) instead of going straight down ( L ) and then over to the sump? Or does that not factor into how much noise it will make?
I dont think the angle plays a factor as long as the the standpipe is taking on full siphon. Although Im sure there's science and math equations that would prove me wrong lol.

For our purpose, I'd keep vertical and at least 6" below water surface for sufficient water pressure. You then would adjust via gate/ball valve to create the siphon.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Should I have a ball valve on both overflow pipes? Or just one where they join together before going into the sump?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Should I have a ball valve on both overflow pipes? Or just one where they join together before going into the sump?
Are these two overflow pipes in the single overflow pictured above? I think that J jaws7777 combines and has a gate valve.

I run a Herbie basically and have them separated. Gate valve for siphon and ball valve trickle.

Reactions: MrsE88 and jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Are these two overflow pipes in the single overflow pictured above? I think that J jaws7777 combines and has a gate valve.

I run a Herbie basically and have them separated. Gate valve for siphon and ball valve trickle.
This is kind of what I was thinking. If hey are infact 2 inch pipes or even 1.5 she might be able to get away with setting one up as a full siphon and keeping the other as an E drain. We're gonna have to make sure the siphon drain doesn't exceed the Edrains capacity.

Gonna need to make sureodScreenshot_20180412-135453.png the pipes measurement

Reactions: MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store