Are there such thing as dwarf algae eaters???

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
I’ve never heard of them eating other fish anyway. So, have fun with them, grow them for a while and take them back to a fish store when you feel they are to big.
Or get a red wolf fish and he’ll take care of them for you.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I’ve never heard of them eating other fish anyway. So, have fun with them, grow them for a while and take them back to a fish store when you feel they are to big.
Or get a red wolf fish and he’ll take care of them for you.
They sometimes kill each other

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
I've heard of them attacking other fish when they get larger, same thing with plecos. These look like gold Chinese algae eaters to me. If you really want to take cake of the algae problem I would recommend plants, a lot, and or Malaysian trumpet snails. Being a new tank you were probably guaranteed to run into algae, no biggie, just cut back on feeling and light. But I would recommend the first two things. Welcome to the new lifestyle, you'll enjoy it for a lifetime. I know I have.

WaterWaffle

Exodon
MFK Member
May 19, 2018
I don't know if i'll be able to return them but if I have the chance I will and get some snails like I originally wanted and if I can't i'll think about building a pond. I've always wanted one anyway :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

WaterWaffle

Exodon
MFK Member
May 19, 2018
I probably wont be able to build one for at least another three years because of school. I don't have my own property yet. I don't know if the landowners will let me put anything outside and I have nowhere to put it.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
The problem with CAE (Chinese Algae Eaters) is not so much they eat other fish, but the fact when they get older they start losing their appetite for algae and start prefering fishes slime coats...

Quite a few years back i had some with a bunch of fish, at the start they were great at eating algae but as they matured they started going after the fishes slime coats and leaving the algae alone...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Also noticed you never mentioned anything about lighting setup or if your tank is by a window...

Coz other than excess nutrients / off balance nutirents, light is a huge factor in algae growth...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store