Payara scom in pond

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
I build a pond in my yard and the stock is tiger shovelnose hybrid silver arowana Indo tarpon and livebearing fish my question is if I add a payara
scomberoides would it be fine in the pond the other fish are feeding on tilipia,Shrimp,pellets and the livebearers would the payara get along also I read somewhere that payara only live 3 months don’t know if this is true also any tips on keeping payara is appreciated

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It’ll grow to 12inches and seem to die after that. That’s the issue with them.

In regards scomberoides in with these tankmates....it’ll be eaten by the other fish. May need to look at armatus potentially. Pond will need to be covered for sure.

Reactions: Cowturtle

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014

In regards scomberoides in with these tankmates....it’ll be eaten by the other fish. May need to look at armatus potentially. Pond will need to be covered for sure.
+1

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016

Oh then scratch that

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016

Does the Armatus also die once it reaches 12 inches

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Does the Armatus also die once it reaches 12 inches
No. It’s rep is it’ll get 2ft and then die. There are a few members with armatus larger than 2ft so it can happen. Just not sure as large tanks and lots of filtration/flow still havent yielded none bigger than 2ft.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Technically the armatus can push over three feet but we in the US do it all wrong apparently lol, can't get them much over 2', longed I've heard of one being kept was 5 years. Over in Asia they have more success.

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
Do you know where I can buy Armatus they look to go out of stock quickly I called Lfs and they don’t have them in stock?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can try Wes @amazonaq@gmail.com. Email him and see if he has any in stock.

PetZoneSanDiego PetZoneSanDiego had some on their website.

spencer0t

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
Can try Wes @amazonaq@gmail.com. Email him and see if he has any in stock.

PetZoneSanDiego PetZoneSanDiego had some on their website.
I’ll email him I’ve ordered form petzone before but it looks like they only have scom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store