New Crenicichla Venezuela

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
They should come around quickly if they haven’t done so already. When they get into your 12 footer, the other fish in there should give them some comfort that all is safe.

If they continue to not feed, please post so we can better diagnose.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
They should come around quickly if they haven’t done so already. When they get into your 12 footer, the other fish in there should give them some comfort that all is safe.

If they continue to not feed, please post so we can better diagnose.
Sorry I’ve not been on the forums for a little while.

I got frozen silversides and no dice. I had been putting a sinking hikari gold pellet or two in and would always see them on the bottom. Over the last few days although I haven’t directly seen them eat the hikaris they at least look st them when they sink and they are gone when I come back later. I have to think they’re eating them. I’ve also seen some red poop.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
You’re good then. Add something higher up on the water column that is bold and active. It’ll make them more comfortable.

Reactions: jandb

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
You’re good then. Add something higher up on the water column that is bold and active. It’ll make them more comfortable.
The larger one, I assume the male,is now crushing them. The smaller on isn’t. The smaller one is whiter and has a little nub by its butt. How do you sex them?

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
The larger one, I assume the male,is now crushing them. The smaller on isn’t. The smaller one is whiter and has a little nub by its butt. How do you sex them?
Females have a submarginal white stripe and with this species, the females will get a pinkish abdomen when sexually mature.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
These guys are both crushing pellets and doing really well now. That said what is the liklihood they spawn while alone in the 90? If it's decent I'll hold off on putting them in the big tank. They were very bonded for probably 6 weeks almost constantly laying on or around each other. I've noticed some lip fighting, flaring and shaking recently but they've taken more to swimming around the tank. If you think there's a shot at them spawning is there any way to jump start them?

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Mine didn't ever end up spawning for me in a 90, they would shake and dance, liplock, etc. but no dice. I noticed they would do it a bit more right after a waterchange, which were done with colder water.

Reactions: jandb

juddb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
washington
Females have a submarginal white stripe and with this species, the females will get a pinkish abdomen when sexually mature.
I thought in this species the females did "not" have the white stripe on the dorsal like most pikes? I have 3 they are only about 4" now but im hoping for a pair. To the OP could you please poat a pic of the female?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store