New catfish, Suriname Piraiba

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
How big have people grown them in the home aquarium?
Mine from Suriname is about 33". The peruvians are 2x smaller still. I'd think Vince's are over 3' by now. Must be.

Is he still around?
Been a long time since I saw a post from Michael Bryce aka arapaimag.

Visitors just killed his tig. Bit the size difference was huge and theu were together for a long time. Good luck I really look forward to your updates.
Viktor's. Not Visitors.

Wow that's amazing! 5' wallago. That's a monster! Is that the guy in cali with that massive tank where his garage was oe something like that. There was an interview on him. He had a pr of pimas too! Big boys!
You're probably thinking of John PTC. Michael is in Canada, Ontario state.

These fish need lots of room to swim and want strong current. Can't say I'd recommend keeping it in a divided 300 for long unless it's small like under 12" still with the majority of the tank for it and you're planning on or already have a larger tank to transfer it to in the next year.
Agree. Phil, as you read in my thread, my piraiba's snout tip started to eventually bend down in 240 gal due to freak out incidents.

amazonfishman amazonfishman actually, they do grow quite fast, 1.5-2" a month. Mine grew from 5" to 15" in 5 months. But I don't know the Suriname variation growth rate, it may vary or simply the same.
Good to know. But you may be comparing apples and oranges. You are quoting the fastest growth period. Phil is speaking in general or of the larger fish. Still, up to 2" a month is possible just not sustainable long term.

My suriname piraiba has been on a hunger strike for some months now, 2 or 3 months. Worries me a bit. I wonder if this is the time of year (and my water conditions are right) for their migration. Plus something is pestering mine too in 4500 gal. Suspects are Sperata aor and bowfin.

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Mine from Suriname is about 33". The peruvians are 2x smaller still. I'd think Vince's are over 3' by now. Must be.

Been a long time since I saw a post from Michael Bryce aka arapaimag.

Viktor's. Not Visitors.

You're probably thinking of John PTC. Michael is in Canada, Ontario state.

Agree. Phil, as you read in my thread, my piraiba's snout tip started to eventually bend down in 240 gal due to freak out incidents.

Good to know. But you may be comparing apples and oranges. You are quoting the fastest growth period. Phil is speaking in general or of the larger fish. Still, up to 2" a month is possible just not sustainable long term.

My suriname piraiba has been on a hunger strike for some months now, 2 or 3 months. Worries me a bit. I wonder if this is the time of year (and my water conditions are right) for their migration. Plus something is pestering mine too in 4500 gal. Suspects are Sperata aor and bowfin.
Hey viktor i sent u a pm. Take a look at it and lmk what u think. Thanks bud

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Is the piraiba's snout tip slightly damaged?

As mine grew in 240 gal, it started to bash around, spook sometimes, and its perfect snout tip started to bend down. This was the reason for taking a risk in 4500 gal.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store