Breeding cichlids in a 30 gallon tank?

Sean Casey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2018
Hi everyone. In the coming month or two I will be having my 30 gallon tank becoming available after our juvie flowerhorn upgrades to our 75 gallon. I’m reallying wanting to give breeding a try, partly for fun and experIence and also I would love to have a constant supply of fry to give away to friends or to use a feeders for out FH. My main question is, is there any other type of SA/CA cichlid that I could breed using this 30 gallon other than convicts? Convicts do seem like the obvious choice, due to their semi small size and ease of breeding, I just wanted to know what my options were. Also, is it fairly easy to recognize when a breeding pair has formed if I introduce 4-6 juvie size convicts in there at first? What exactly is the best way to tell a breeding pair has formed? Thanks in advance!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone. In the coming month or two I will be having my 30 gallon tank becoming available after our juvie flowerhorn upgrades to our 75 gallon. I’m reallying wanting to give breeding a try, partly for fun and experIence and also I would love to have a constant supply of fry to give away to friends or to use a feeders for out FH. My main question is, is there any other type of SA/CA cichlid that I could breed using this 30 gallon other than convicts? Convicts do seem like the obvious choice, due to their semi small size and ease of breeding, I just wanted to know what my options were. Also, is it fairly easy to recognize when a breeding pair has formed if I introduce 4-6 juvie size convicts in there at first? What exactly is the best way to tell a breeding pair has formed? Thanks in advance!

2 will pair off and keep the remaining 4 away. You will know when this happens and the female will display intense color on the belly. Btw don't stick your hand in the aquarium they will attack your fingers to protect eggs,wriggler's, and fry.

Sean Casey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2018
2 will pair off and keep the remaining 4 away. You will know when this happens and the female will display intense color on the belly. Btw don't stick your hand in the aquarium they will attack your fingers to protect eggs,wriggler's, and fry.
That’s what I figured would happen! Would you say 4 or 6 is the better number to insure I’ll eventually get a pair to form?

Reactions: tlindsey

BMG94

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2018
If this helps What I did with our pregnant female is I put her in a nursery net for the remainder of her pregnancy.
Once she spits the babies out in the net that's when you net her out and let the Fry develop in the net until they're able to free swim. I also wrapped an old cartridge bag around the filter that way the Fry wouldn't get sucked into it.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
In my opinion , With Convicts you can get a male and female and they will almost always pair up instead of having an extra 4 fish that you need to find homes for
+1 get a male and female just look for even the slightest red on belly then get a male which has no color i would breed albino convicts the female displays more color imo

Reactions: tlindsey

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Another option (even though not SA/CA) would be Jewel cichlids. They are about the same size and spawn just as easily IMO. If you have a nice deep red pair there might even be a little money to be made on fry depending on if anyone else in your area is breeding them or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store