Did you get into fish keeping or fish catching first?

Glenn Carbon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2018
Louisiana
So One common trait I've noticed among many fish keepers is that they're also fishermen. I was wondering what came first, the obsession to catch fish or the obsession to keep them. For me I've always had an interest in fish, especially the weird ones, and I started fishing around 9 years old and it's been almost 10 years and I've been fishing ever since and lately I've had an interest in aquariums and plan on getting my first fish soon.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Interesting, I would've thought most people started with fishing first. What made you want to start catching them?
I was taken fishing and caught a big one, ever since I have been obsessed with hooking the big ones, each time I want something bigger, as I get more skilled I catch bigger fish, when I catch bigger fish I want to catch MUCH bigger fish, there are people who think a 20 inch rainbow trout or 7 pound largemouth are big, to me those fish are small because I go after (and succeed) in catching much larger fish

Glenn Carbon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2018
Louisiana
there are people who think a 20 inch rainbow trout or 7 pound largemouth are big, to me those fish are small because I go after (and succeed) in catching much larger fish
I definitely agree with you on the bass and trout not being big enough, whenever I hear somebody talk about this "massive" 10lb bass they caught I laugh a little bit and tell them about the small 30lb catfish I consistently catch. What do you target mainly?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I definitely agree with you on the bass and trout not being big enough, whenever I hear somebody talk about this "massive" 10lb bass they caught I laugh a little bit and tell them about the small 30lb catfish I consistently catch. What do you target mainly?
I'm multispecies, but prefer to go after fish that are larger than normal, I've fished for gar (my fave to go after),largemouth bass, spotted bass, many species of sunfish, chub, drum,rainbow trout, brown trout, common carp, grass carp (probably one of the hardest fish to catch), black crappie, white crappie,hybrid crappie,white bass,channel cats, blue cats,hybrid cats,
Rockbass, tilapia,

I've caught bigger than average of most species listed, and also caught a few that would qualify for state and world records.

What do you go after/want to catch?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Fish keeping for a while. Had shark aquarium around but not near when it was still open so I was able to get kept a lot of everything.

Then moved to Florida and started fishing. I Only fish saltwater. The rest is history.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I'd say a good 90% of what I fish for are catfish, mostly channels and blues with the occasional flathead. I'll go after gar sometimes since my area is loaded with them and a few other fish every now and then.
Bass , channel cats, and sunfish are what I fish for most due to their abundance

Reactions: Glenn Carbon

Lsey81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2016
Pittsburgh-ish
I actually started with fish keeping...at a very young age...through my uncle's ...became obsessed with fish at that point....then my father introduced me to fishing....NOT COOL! He wanted to eat my pets!!!! Fast forward a few decades and wife laughs as I apologize to fish I catch to fill my freezer with she always says it's a severe conflict of interest hahahaaa

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store