Looking to get into breeding as a hobby (read)

RedneckHutch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
Hey everybody here on the MonsterFishKeeper forums. I am pretty knew to fish keeping as a whole and never have tried to raise the fry. That being said I know this will be a huge learning curve for me and who doesn't enjoy learning knew things that you can watch the feed back grow right in front of you. Now I understand with breeding fish I will need to find a way to sell the fish I am raising. I'm not really in this for the money but being able to help pay for the supplies and new tanks/fish would be a plus. Now when people here someone say they want to sell fish they start naming stingrays and zebra placos. I am no where near ready for those type of fish. I was considering cichlids, guppies, endlers, mollies, killifish, ect... I currently do not have a tank for this yet, would rather think of the species I plan to breed so I can get the right equipment. Lets keep this thread very educational so others can find this beneficial as well. Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and I will try to reply as fast as possible.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Maybe try to start with something fairly easy to start with so get an idea of what it’s like to have fish spawning in your tank(s).

I would suggest either black convicts or jewel cichlids. Guppies are so annoying, you can spend months and get less than 10 that are super small and fragile. IMHO

Reactions: YankeeJack

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Easy to breed manageable fish
Endlers
Celestial danios
Zebra danios
Cherry barbs
White Cloud Mountain minnows
Kribensis
Mosquitofish
Betta splendens
Golden and platinum gouramis

RedneckHutch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
Easy to breed manageable fish
Endlers
Celestial danios
Zebra danios
Cherry barbs
White Cloud Mountain minnows
Kribensis
Mosquitofish
Betta splendens
Golden and platinum gouramis
Which have a demand for so I don't have tanks filled with them, later on when I get some bigger fish. I plan to start a feeder tank but no time soon. Thanks for all the ideas! I will give them a google search or two.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Which have a demand for so I don't have tanks filled with them, later on when I get some bigger fish. I plan to start a feeder tank but no time soon. Thanks for all the ideas! I will give them a google search or two.
If you ever want to make some money breed some lake chubsuckers,in demand as bait,forage and could probably be sold as feeders as well

RedneckHutch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
Maybe try to start with something fairly easy to start with so get an idea of what it’s like to have fish spawning in your tank(s).

I would suggest either black convicts or jewel cichlids. Guppies are so annoying, you can spend months and get less than 10 that are super small and fragile. IMHO
Sorry I went right pat your post. That’s what I figured, guppies just seem super annoying at least when I have had them in the past. The only problem I see doing convict and jewels is being able to sell them to make room for new ones. Do most people sell them to a wholesaler, to local store, or online sites. I have heard a lot of bad things about shipping fish but have personally never done it.

Reactions: Matteus

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If you wish to breed then use a dedicated tank per breeding pair /species and 4 or 5 large growout tanks for each breeding tank. This means lots of tanks so look at racked tanks, preferably end side out. Or very large tanks/ponds with smaller floating cages. Most breeders keep each spawn separate from other species and batches for best growth, line breeding quality, ease of harvest.

RedneckHutch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
If you ever want to make some money breed some lake chubsuckers,in demand as bait,forage and could probably be sold as feeders as well
I am located in Tennessee so we have creek chubs all around me. How large or a operation would I need for this to even be worth doing? Would it be better to do this vs a hard fish which would possibly turn over more per fish. I hope that was clear. I am currently replying from my phone.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I am located in Tennessee so we have creek chubs all around me. How large or a operation would I need for this to even be worth doing? Would it be better to do this vs a hard fish which would possibly turn over more per fish. I hope that was clear. I am currently replying from my phone.
I think I understand what your saying, it really depends on what your wanting, however I don't recommend creek chubs as they are difficult to breed, the bigger your operation, the more you can potentially make, try to avoid selling what everyone else is offering to avoid being outcompeted

RedneckHutch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2018
If you wish to breed then use a dedicated tank per breeding pair /species and 4 or 5 large growout tanks for each breeding tank. This means lots of tanks so look at racked tanks, preferably end side out. Or very large tanks/ponds with smaller floating cages. Most breeders keep each spawn separate from other species and batches for best growth, line breeding quality, ease of harvest.
That is the current plan, still deciding how I want to go about it. Would it be a bad idea after the first fry are born to separate the male and female so I don’t get overwhelmed with new wiggles shortly after. This will help me keep my quality up and slowly get all the errors figured out that I may have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store