breeding guppies in a 29?

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Well you know how a bull shark can go from salt water to freshwater? Yeah it's like that. Mollies, guppies, and platies are some of the few fish that can go from freshwater all the way to salt water. You just have to slowly bring the salinity of their tank upto what you want it to be so they don't go into shock.
ok, but wouldn't the pufferfish be too aggressive for them? Let alone the fry

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I'd think he be inclined to taste test them at the least but I havnt ever had the pleasure of owning one so I can't say on that.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
My neighbour keeps a pair of green puffers and they’re not agressive towards each other, I’ve seen this set up done many times before so I think it should work

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Well you know how a bull shark can go from salt water to freshwater? Yeah it's like that. Mollies, guppies, and platies are some of the few fish that can go from freshwater all the way to salt water. You just have to slowly bring the salinity of their tank upto what you want it to be so they don't go into shock.
ok, but wouldn't the pufferfish be too aggressive for them? Let alone the fry

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
With guppies the real question is how long before you end up with over 100 guppies lol.
Anyway bertie made good points.
Another option for getting rid of the guppy fry could be selling them to other Canadian fish keepers?
Once upon a time I had a 29 or 30 long, my friend gave me 2 male guppies, then another friend gave me 4 females from his colony, at one point I had maybe 200 in the tank, so I gave away or traded some (for other guppies lol), I also used some as feeders, it was a fun tank

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Lol, guppies will always have a place in the fish keeping world.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
yeah this one's been around for awhile and actually had saltwater, but they got rid of it because when online stuff became a big deal everybody bought saltwater stuff online so he got rid of it because it didn't sell, but the owner is really nice, even though I have (and still do) ask a lot of dumb questions, they specialize in fish, but have bugs (vinegaroons, tarantulas, etc.), reptiles, and this beautiful rose breasted cockatoo who is super friendly (she says hello whenever you walk in the door, it's so cute and she let's you pet her) and they have a large tortoise (like 2.5 feet long). The other fish store owner is a grumpy old man, I asked him if he thought pea puffers would hurt my tetras and he said "well he'll just annoy them" and he walked away, he's gotten mouthy with me when I asked him what certain frozen foods are (he has a lot and they are in white plastic containers so I couldn't see what was in there), and when I asked him what the best way to heat a large tank is he just said "with a large heater" and walked away, I asked him about heating the room and/or using a hot water heater and he pretty much ignored me and note I've spent probably $200 in there and he is just downright rude and their prices are INSANE! they want $12 for a peacock gudgeon when I got them at petsmart for $7, he wants $40 for standard peacock cichlids and $8 for kuhli loaches when I got them at the other lfs (the one I like) for $3 a piece, their livestock is usually in good health (I have had a few bad fish but who doesn't) so I can understand that being a bit pricy, but their supplies are also just as expensive, they want $50 for a 2 foot by 6 inch by 4 inch betta tank that has acrylic dividers, 50 freaking dollars, they want $100 for a bonsai tree drift wood, they charge 8-10 dollars for a pack of bloodworms when I get them at petsmart for $5, and they sold me a microworm culture that wasn't any good, they ripped me off, I'm sure as hell not going back there, but they're the only place that has daphnia which is what my fish really like so idk what to do about that, getting frozen daphnia online is too damn expensive
Breed daphnia in tubs, isn't hard

Reactions: Matteus

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
how would you do that? and would the mollies be more valuable? would the green spotted puffer attack the mollies? I looked it up and several people said that mollies will get bullied and eaten by the puffers
I kept a green spot puffer in full salt (55gal)with platinum mollies, if the puffer ever ate any of the fry I never noticed, we started with 3 mollies and ended up with maybe 50

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store