breeding guppies in a 29?

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I might get a 29 gallon and would like to get fancy guppies to breed, can I just add in a bunch of hiding areas for the fry and have them breed? and how many can I put in? I was looking at 20 or so, I was going to get tanganyika cichlids but everybody was saying I can only keep a couple in there, but I want around 10 so I think I'll go with guppies, would they breed in there?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I might get a 29 gallon and would like to get fancy guppies to breed, can I just add in a bunch of hiding areas for the fry and have them breed? and how many can I put in? I was looking at 20 or so, I was going to get tanganyika cichlids but everybody was saying I can only keep a couple in there, but I want around 10 so I think I'll go with guppies, would they breed in there?
With lots of plants and places to hide the fry should survive but there will always be some that get eaten, I would start off with around 6-8 1m-3f and then you will have your stock grow from all the babies growing into adults

Reactions: Tony A. and Matteus
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
With lots of plants and places to hide the fry should survive but there will always be some that get eaten, I would start off with around 6-8 1m-3f and then you will have your stock grow from all the babies growing into adults
I was going to go on liveaquaria.com to get some pairs of guppies, I was going to take the fry to a lfs to see if I can get a small pack of some sort of food or something, or maybe just give it to them because I have no other real use for them and use the defective ones as feeders.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I was going to go on liveaquaria.com to get some pairs of guppies, I was going to take the fry to a lfs to see if I can get a small pack of some sort of food or something, or maybe just give it to them because I have no other real use for them and use the defective ones as feeders.
Yeah you could do that, I would research them and find your favourite strain, I had a 55 tall with guppies and I loved the tank, always active and interesting to see the babies grow up. Get as many as you would want in the tank if you don’t plan on keeping any of the fry. I would still stick to the 1m-3f though

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
With guppies the real question is how long before you end up with over 100 guppies lol.
Anyway bertie made good points.
Another option for getting rid of the guppy fry could be selling them to other Canadian fish keepers?

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
With guppies the real question is how long before you end up with over 100 guppies lol.
Anyway bertie made good points.
Another option for getting rid of the guppy fry could be selling them to other Canadian fish keepers?
Lol idk how I’d do that, but yeah I was just wondering if that would be ok to do or not because I th8nk the fancy ones are really pretty, I’m not sure how many i can get though in the tank, I think 15-20 would be the max

Reactions: Matteus

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Good luck keeping them at 20 though. One or two will always escape and make it to adulthood and the cycle repeats. I once had around 40-50 full grown guppies in a heavily planted 10 gallon because they kept on breeding and living to adulthood

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Good luck keeping them at 20 though. One or two will always escape and make it to adulthood and the cycle repeats. I once had around 40-50 full grown guppies in a heavily planted 10 gallon because they kept on breeding and living to adulthood
Damn lol, I’ll just give em to my lfs, they need money and the owner is really nice (unlike the other lfs), he may or may not give me anything for em but eh well, he’ll make a bit out of it and I’ll get to get rid of some lol, if not I’ll just feed the, to my axolotls, I’m sure I could sell them to him 10 for a dollar or something

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I use to give my lfs baby albino bristlenose plecos and red guppies. It's a good way to show your appreciation to your favorite lfs :).

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I use to give my lfs baby albino bristlenose plecos and red guppies. It's a good way to show your appreciation to your favorite lfs :).
yeah this one's been around for awhile and actually had saltwater, but they got rid of it because when online stuff became a big deal everybody bought saltwater stuff online so he got rid of it because it didn't sell, but the owner is really nice, even though I have (and still do) ask a lot of dumb questions, they specialize in fish, but have bugs (vinegaroons, tarantulas, etc.), reptiles, and this beautiful rose breasted cockatoo who is super friendly (she says hello whenever you walk in the door, it's so cute and she let's you pet her) and they have a large tortoise (like 2.5 feet long). The other fish store owner is a grumpy old man, I asked him if he thought pea puffers would hurt my tetras and he said "well he'll just annoy them" and he walked away, he's gotten mouthy with me when I asked him what certain frozen foods are (he has a lot and they are in white plastic containers so I couldn't see what was in there), and when I asked him what the best way to heat a large tank is he just said "with a large heater" and walked away, I asked him about heating the room and/or using a hot water heater and he pretty much ignored me and note I've spent probably $200 in there and he is just downright rude and their prices are INSANE! they want $12 for a peacock gudgeon when I got them at petsmart for $7, he wants $40 for standard peacock cichlids and $8 for kuhli loaches when I got them at the other lfs (the one I like) for $3 a piece, their livestock is usually in good health (I have had a few bad fish but who doesn't) so I can understand that being a bit pricy, but their supplies are also just as expensive, they want $50 for a 2 foot by 6 inch by 4 inch betta tank that has acrylic dividers, 50 freaking dollars, they want $100 for a bonsai tree drift wood, they charge 8-10 dollars for a pack of bloodworms when I get them at petsmart for $5, and they sold me a microworm culture that wasn't any good, they ripped me off, I'm sure as hell not going back there, but they're the only place that has daphnia which is what my fish really like so idk what to do about that, getting frozen daphnia online is too damn expensive

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store