How's this stock lookin?

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
I'm gonna spare you the mess of the current stock, but this is the Ideal stock I have in mind.
5G- Male Veiltail Betta (might give him a 10, he's been cramped in a 2.5 for like 8 months)

10G- Idk, might try apistos... Might give it to the VT betta.

20G Long- 1 male betta (unidentified tail type), 8 kuhli loaches, and a clown pleco

29G- 1 male paradise fish, 10 zebra danios, 1 balloon molly, and a bn pleco

55G- 5 meeki firemouth cichlids, 3 bristlenose plecos

75G- 1 GT cichlid, 1 rhino pleco, idk how many Boeseman Rainbowfish, 1 striped raphael catfish

Problems I see in my stock- 55G might have too many fish, I'll do my best to get a good canister+HOB+Sponge filter mix, 75G might have too many fish. would a school of 6 rainbows work?

What tanks do I have at this moment? (not running & running)- 10 gallon, 20 gallon long, 55 gallon.

This is in my head but it's what I want. It's not even close to what I want in the end. Breeding projects will happen once I buy everything needed. which is gonna be a long, long time.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Why not smaller variations of Rainbow fish for the 75g? Personally, I would also remove one of the bottom dwellers (if not both). The GT has no problem scouring the bottom of the tank for food bits.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Stocks look pretty good to me. If you don't already have 3 BN's for the 55, I would only get 1. They poop like nothing else. 10g a little small for apistos, do-able but on the tight side.
75, GT is the wild card, might be fine or your GT might be a dick.

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
Stocks look pretty good to me. If you don't already have 3 BN's for the 55, I would only get 1. They poop like nothing else. 10g a little small for apistos, do-able but on the tight side.
75, GT is the wild card, might be fine or your GT might be a dick.
Already have 4 bristlenose, I only recently stopped hardcore impulse buying. they're in a 20 long together with 2 zebra danios, the raphael, and the GT (raph isn't even over an inch and the GT is like 3.5" max). I don't have any bigger tanks running at the moment but in my new house I'll be setting up the 55, which is not gonna take long, I have all the media for the 55 in my filters so I can just instant cycle.

10g Idea was just a thought, but good to know!

GT's been a bully to my plecs, torn fins and everything. My raphael never gets touched by the GT and neither do the zebra danios.

I'm thinking of getting another tank just for my bn, how big should it be? 20 or 29? Or should I try to get $100 more and buy another 75? (two listings with 75s for $100)

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
Why not smaller variations of Rainbow fish for the 75g? Personally, I would also remove one of the bottom dwellers (if not both). The GT has no problem scouring the bottom of the tank for food bits.
If I can't rehome my raphael, I just won't get the rhino pleco and do a school of 12 australian rainbows. or 6. Would they be alright?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If I can't rehome my raphael, I just won't get the rhino pleco and do a school of 12 australian rainbows. or 6. Would they be alright?
didnt realize you already had the raphael, the rainbows should be fine as long as your nitrates are below 20ppm everyday through water changes

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
didnt realize you already had the raphael, the rainbows should be fine as long as your nitrates are below 20ppm everyday through water changes
How often would you say I should give it a water change? I usually give a weekly 50-75% water change unless its on an overstocked tank, then I do 50% by-daily.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I would say your stock is fine for the 75 if you don’t get the pleco, I think that the boseman rainbowfish will be fine and shouldn’t overstock it. The 55 is a bit overstocked imo and I would do 6 Cupid cichlids in there, like firemouths but from SA and stay smaller

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Your water change schedule is on the money. The key is to test your water pretty regularly, right before a water change, and see if your nitrates are getting too high (generally, over 20ppm)
GT being aggressive at such a small size means he probably will be when bigger as well. Might not be able to keep plecos with him if he's going after them.
And yea the second 75 gallon would be much better for sure

Reactions: NotReallyCatfishGuy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store