taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
I had a SA Arowana once ..... he ate very well from quite a early age and reached about 2 foot before he ended up as a feeder for a RTC.

T-W

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2018
Belgium
www.toekie-world.be
T-W T-W ,

Welcome back.. once a fish lover.. always a fish lover
Life might take several turns but I think sooner or later the bug bites again

Good luck with your new babies!
Thanks, I had many SA and African arowana in my shop when I was still running it. I know about how to treat them and get them to eat. I also used to get baby black's, sometimes with the yolk sack still attached. These started of usually on pinhead crickets and fruit flies. Now these may not be imported that small anymore here in Europe, only 20 cm (8 inch) and up are slowed for this species and I hope to get a pair of them again next month.

From my past experience, I remembered that they could be very aggressive to each other. So I got 2 albino (expensive) and one normal. I was surprised that these are not aggressive at all. Maybe it's because these were captive bred in Asia.

I first had the aros in a 360 liter - 95 US gallons tub (as I used to do in the past), but they were skittish and wouldn't eat. So I moved them to a 80. liter - 20 gallon quarantine aquarium I have running, together with small oscars. It has dim light on it. I hoped they would start eating when the oscars were fed. But no. Now app. a week later, they are eating crickets and frozen gammarus and occasionally some blood worms. I NEVER feed life feeder fish.

As for your albino, mine also have dark eyes bet when they look straight at you, you'll see they are actually colorless = red.

Reactions: tlindsey and MariaS

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
That is awesome T-W T-W ... Glad they are eating now

There is nothing more frustrating than to sit there helpless when they don't
I have never seen them here with the egg sac attached but some do come in very, very small, probably not even 9cm
Mine came in at about 14cm but it was a special order placed for 3 as they don't bring them in to sit at the LFS due to the price

We tried two silvers some time ago, they were about 20cm but the one was very agro it didn't work out...
The albino is alone, funny enough with three baby Oscars, two baby Uarus and some baby Geos.
She isn't very skittish, in fact she is quite stable for a silver type Arowana but I still watch very carefully as I know they can be
We also don't feed live feeder fish to any of our fish. Also use frozen and insects/worms.

Will try look at mine straight on and see what the eyes look like, that way

You must share some pictures of yours with us

Reactions: tlindsey

T-W

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2018
Belgium
www.toekie-world.be
That is awesome T-W T-W ... Glad they are eating now

Will try look at mine straight on and see what the eyes look like, that way

You must share some pictures of yours with us
I will try to make some pics or a vid tomorrow.
My normal silver baby is app. 10 cm - 4 inch now and the albino's app. 15 cm - 6 inch.
They live with 2 tiny solid blue oscars and 3 small lemon oscars are coming tomorrow. The feeding behavior of the oscars might have triggered the aro's to eat.

The blue oscars were part of over 25 cichlids that were dumped with me this summer. Of the 10 oscars in the batch I could only save 5. Those cichlids were malnourished and in a bad way. The other cichlids in the batch were Tanganyikans. Most of these I could save and are growing now.

Reactions: MariaS and tlindsey

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I will try to make some pics or a vid tomorrow.
My normal silver baby is app. 10 cm - 4 inch now and the albino's app. 15 cm - 6 inch.
They live with 2 tiny solid blue oscars and 3 small lemon oscars are coming tomorrow. The feeding behavior of the oscars might have triggered the aro's to eat.

The blue oscars were part of over 25 cichlids that were dumped with me this summer. Of the 10 oscars in the batch I could only save 5. Those cichlids were malnourished and in a bad way. The other cichlids in the batch were Tanganyikans. Most of these I could save and are growing now.
Would love to see some pictures

You sound a bit like my son and I... we also keep rescuing fish that are taken back to the LFS either hurt or in bad shape.
We dont always keep them, but we get them right and then help find suitable homes

I think You are right, I also think the greedy Oscars triggered the Aros to eat because my three little guys also have a competition with the Aro but she is too fast for them

You are a very, very lucky man...... Lemon Oscars are one of my dream fish...
I have been begging the LFS's in my Country for them for a good few years but I keep being told that they very scarce and they cant find any... so you make me jealous!!!
You have to please.. post pictures....
I always look at the picture of the pair that won the Competition and just dream on...

Reactions: T-W

T-W

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2018
Belgium
www.toekie-world.be
Would love to see some pictures

You sound a bit like my son and I... we also keep rescuing fish that are taken back to the LFS either hurt or in bad shape.
We dont always keep them, but we get them right and then help find suitable homes

I think You are right, I also think the greedy Oscars triggered the Aros to eat because my three little guys also have a competition with the Aro but she is too fast for them

You are a very, very lucky man...... Lemon Oscars are one of my dream fish...
I have been begging the LFS's in my Country for them for a good few years but I keep being told that they very scarce and they cant find any... so you make me jealous!!!
You have to please.. post pictures....
I always look at the picture of the pair that won the Competition and just dream on...
Wel, I hope the lemons are finaly in the shipping box. I've been waiting for 3 months now, so fingers crossed.
They were imported from Singapore originally.

Please share the link to the pics of the pair that won the Competition.

As for keeping the dropped cichlids. It wasn't intentionally but they were in such bad shape that I couldn't re-home them quickly. They are app. 4 months in my care now and I got attached to them. I only want to find a place for a few oscars since there are too many when they grow out. Or maybe I'll have to get more or bigger tanks :rolleyes:.

Please post pics of your aro too.

Still hoping to get some info on other colors of SA arowana too. And hopefully get some in the future.
The "monster-bug" is thriving again. :eek::D

Reactions: MariaS

T-W

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2018
Belgium
www.toekie-world.be
Here is the link where you will find the pictures below
They were apparently bred in the Phillipines

Wish you all the best with yours...

Hahaha.. The 'monster bug' is serious!!!
I will post a picture of our baby as well

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/the-oscar-fish
Nice Lemons !!!!!!!

Here's a pic send to me of how mine will look like.
Maybe not solid but Tiger lemons.
Anyway, they are welcome.

192952_IM3_031ab1a1cb5e25d5f3faf6b52866bff6.jpg

After they arrive tomorrow, I will post a pic of the actual fish.

T-W

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2018
Belgium
www.toekie-world.be
Here is the link where you will find the pictures below
They were apparently bred in the Phillipines

Wish you all the best with yours...

Hahaha.. The 'monster bug' is serious!!!
I will post a picture of our baby as well
As promised here a few pics of my babies.
I will post a vid of them soon too.

Albino aro left, Normal right.
Nieuw-5.jpg

Normal aro left, Albino right.
Nieuw-6.jpg

Albino aro & Lemon & solid Blue/Blackoscaes.
Nieuw-2.jpg Nieuw-3.jpg Nieuw-4.jpg

Lemon oscar.
Nieuw-1.jpg

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I hate to tell you this but please let me be wrong but that albino looks like a WTT silver

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store