Promoting fin and scale regrowth?

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
My poor albino Taiwan Reef fish got his butt kicked when I moved him out of quarantine and into my display tank. There's not much of them left, but he still has his fin rays. I've got him isolated in a 10 gallon hospital tank now. Should I treat him with Melafix (or something else), or just do frequent water changes? If the latter, how frequent? I usually do ~50% once a week in my display and quarantine tanks.

For what it's worth, I have a Tetra Whisper 10i internal filter with cycled media in the hospital tank.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My poor albino Taiwan Reef fish got his butt kicked when I moved him out of quarantine and into my display tank. There's not much of them left, but he still has his fin rays. I've got him isolated in a 10 gallon hospital tank now. Should I treat him with Melafix (or something else), or just do frequent water changes? If the latter, how frequent? I usually do ~50% once a week in my display and quarantine tanks.

For what it's worth, I have a Tetra Whisper 10i internal filter with cycled media in the hospital tank.

Just keep water in pristine conditions he will recover.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Do daily water changes,most fins tend to grow back provided it's only fin damage, and wild fish often loose scales, so just do very frequent water changes and make sure he has some cover so he isn't to stressed. Is he eating?

Reactions: Seedy J

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
Thanks for the replies. I'll just do frequent water changes. He hasn't been eating, but I haven't tried feeding him since I moved him to the hospital tank this morning. There's a fake plant in the tank and it's in a low-traffic area (basement). I'll put a clay pot in as well for more cover.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What was said above. Fish are surprisingly good at regeneration :)

The cleaner the water, the better a fish can facilitate regeneration and healing.

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
Update: Even with seeded filter media, the tank wouldn't cycle (and still hasn't!). The fish's fins had mostly grown back and I got fed up with the daily water changes, so I moved him back into the display tank a couple weeks ago. He's been doing great ever since! Thanks for the advice.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It should be fine there as long as whomever kicked it's butt the first time doesn't ambush it again....and the water is kept pristine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store