Looking to setup a 500+ gallon freshwater sump tank

InfinityARch

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Is your dining room on a concrete slab? If not you're going to need to reinforce the floor joists to withstand the weight of the tank, and that's something you should ideally do before even moving the tank into place, and absolutely has to be done before filling it.

The easiest way to do that would be to put some of those adjustable floor jacks underneath the corners of the stand and under the center supports in the stand. I'd recommend getting in touch with a contractor or ideally a structural engineer to figure out exactly how much support you need, because 500 gallons of water entails an enormous amount of weight.

Things will get extremely complicated if this is a second floor; sistering joists and carefully positioning the tank might be able to get you sufficient floor strength, but you'll also need to consider the load on the structural beams as well at such large volumes.

Reactions: Matteus

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
It is better you go with sump filtration for such a large tank. Depending on the stand construction and its height get an old tank to be used as sump. It can be as small as 40g as well but the larger the better. You will need to get some plan for the water turnover you need for this tank to identify a pump that will suit.

Will water noise be an issue in the dining area? There are few options to make the setup less noisy to almost a silent system. You will need to drill holes on the display tank based on this requirement.

BTW good to see someone taking care of bala sharks. Place i am from they are so common and cheap approx half a dollar when small. And i have seen them in the fish meat stores so its found in lakes nearby too.

Reactions: jaws7777

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
Is your dining room on a concrete slab? If not you're going to need to reinforce the floor joists to withstand the weight of the tank, and that's something you should ideally do before even moving the tank into place, and absolutely has to be done before filling it.

The easiest way to do that would be to put some of those adjustable floor jacks underneath the corners of the stand and under the center supports in the stand. I'd recommend getting in touch with a contractor or ideally a structural engineer to figure out exactly how much support you need, because 500 gallons of water entails an enormous amount of weight.

Things will get extremely complicated if this is a second floor; sistering joists and carefully positioning the tank might be able to get you sufficient floor strength, but you'll also need to consider the load on the structural beams as well at such large volumes.
Well, my dining area is on the first floor. I would never consider putting an aquarium this large on a second floor. As for the weight on the first floor, I do not have a cement slab. I did look under the crawl space when I first set up my 125 gallon. I looked into it and was told to make sure the wall the aquarium sits against is facing the opposite way the support beams are running under the house. That way, you have added support every couple feet instead of 1 beam supporting all the weight... does that make sense? It’s not something I’ve thought about lately, but thanks for bringing it up. It’s definitely a lot more weight than my current setup!

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
It is better you go with sump filtration for such a large tank. Depending on the stand construction and its height get an old tank to be used as sump. It can be as small as 40g as well but the larger the better. You will need to get some plan for the water turnover you need for this tank to identify a pump that will suit.

Will water noise be an issue in the dining area? There are few options to make the setup less noisy to almost a silent system. You will need to drill holes on the display tank based on this requirement.

BTW good to see someone taking care of bala sharks. Place i am from they are so common and cheap approx half a dollar when small. And i have seen them in the fish meat stores so its found in lakes nearby too.
Well, the more I think about it, the more I’m liking the idea of using my 125 g as a sump tank. For a pump, I think I need something that can turn over 2,500 gallons/hr. As far as drilling holes, the 2 companies I am considering to purchase the new tank, will pre- drill the holes for me since it is a custom made tank. I can have the stand height be higher if needed (36-42 inches), which is a bit higher than a standard stand.
As far as noise, I’m not familiar with how noisy they are since I’ve never had a sump system. All my current tanks are run off of canister filters, which are practically silent, so it’s not an issue I’m used to dealing with. Noise could be an issue because of the location. Any ideas? If drilled directly from show tank to sump, I didn’t think there would be much noise.

Interesting, what you said about Bala’s. They are a little pricier around here. I love them though and want to give them the best home possible.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Interesting, what you said about Bala’s. They are a little pricier around here. I love them though and want to give them the best home possible.
Sorry, I was thinking about iridescent shark, not Bala sharks. My mistake. Sorry again.

Balas are available for about 3-4 $ here.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
I can have the stand height be higher if needed (36-42 inches), which is a bit higher than a standard stand.
As far as noise, I’m not familiar with how noisy they are since I’ve never had a sump system. All my current tanks are run off of canister filters, which are practically silent, so it’s not an issue I’m used to dealing with. Noise could be an issue because of the location. Any ideas? If drilled directly from show tank to sump, I didn’t think there would be much noise.
Yes depending on sump consider stand height for sump maintenance, cleaning purpose. Will need height clearance above sump tank to move media, cleaning pump, sump tank etc.

Believe me, the regular drain system, which consists of single pipe will be noisy, almost like your toilet flush, but continuously. It will be creating much disturbance unlike canisters. Please watch some YouTube videos, to get an idea.

There are technique available to make the drain less noisy. One is called Herbie, where you have 2 drain simultaneously, out if which one has a valve and will function as full siphon, silently. Another one called BeanAnimal having 3 drains, one line with valve, rurn completely silent. For better understanding, youtube videos are better. So based on these the number of holes need to be planned on display tank. But will be worth it. I have a BeanAnimal in my 220g, in my living room. Runs dead silent.

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
Sorry, I was thinking about iridescent shark, not Bala sharks. My mistake. Sorry again.

Balas are available for about 3-4 $ here.
Ha! Yeah, if I had iridescent’s, I would have had to do a room edition to my home 6 months ago to make enough room for them. I don’t think most people realize just how enormous they can get!

AquaJohn

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2018
Yes depending on sump consider stand height for sump maintenance, cleaning purpose. Will need height clearance above sump tank to move media, cleaning pump, sump tank etc.

Believe me, the regular drain system, which consists of single pipe will be noisy, almost like your toilet flush, but continuously. It will be creating much disturbance unlike canisters. Please watch some YouTube videos, to get an idea.

There are technique available to make the drain less noisy. One is called Herbie, where you have 2 drain simultaneously, out if which one has a valve and will function as full siphon, silently. Another one called BeanAnimal having 3 drains, one line with valve, rurn completely silent. For better understanding, youtube videos are better. So based on these the number of holes need to be planned on display tank. But will be worth it. I have a BeanAnimal in my 220g, in my living room. Runs dead silent.
Thanks for the info. I’ll need to research the drain options and get a plan together. A lot to consider here. It’s a little overwhelming.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store