Could you make your own acrylic sheet for an aquarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I was wondering, since it's hard to find a company that makes large acrylic or glass panels, would it be possible to make your own out of acrylic? I was thinking make a mold out of wood or something and pour acrylic into it and use that to create an acrylic panel? Would it be aquarium safe? How do you ensure there's no bubbles in it? How could I seal it so it holds water since silicone doesn't work on acrylic? I just thought this would be best because you can make it thicker and make it sized to your needs.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Not sure how you thought you were going to get the correct raw materials materials but it’s not as simple as you make it sound. The process releases highly toxic fumes that are possibly explosive from what I’ve read. Just order acrylic sheets online

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Not sure how you thought you were going to get the correct raw materials materials but it’s not as simple as you make it sound. The process releases highly toxic fumes that are possibly explosive from what I’ve read. Just order acrylic sheets online
it's incredibly hard to find them though, I'm not sure where I could get them

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I can only begin to explain all the intricacies of actually doing what youre suggesting. Suffice to say you will need tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment as well as a ventilated and climate controlled work environment to begin making cell cast acrylic sheets. It is a process requiring thorough knowledge and experience in chemistry, physics, and engineering.

Unless you do in fact have these things, but some sort of backyard plywood acrylic mold would be pointless.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
why not? it sounds far easier than buying them
They're super easy to buy, though admittedly not cheap.

Buying a sheet of glass or acrylic is an order of magnitude easier than trying to buy raw, dangerous and highly volatile chemicals that need to be mixed together to precise and exacting specifications in a laboratory setting.

Check out glasscages.com. They specialize in aquarium needs and they'll ship large sheets of glass or acrylic.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I was wondering, since it's hard to find a company that makes large acrylic or glass panels, would it be possible to make your own out of acrylic? I was thinking make a mold out of wood or something and pour acrylic into it and use that to create an acrylic panel? Would it be aquarium safe? How do you ensure there's no bubbles in it? How could I seal it so it holds water since silicone doesn't work on acrylic? I just thought this would be best because you can make it thicker and make it sized to your needs.
Hey be a pioneer, step out of your comfort zone! Venture out and try things you’ve never try before!! Be the first member on MFK to manufacture DIY acrylic! Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 knows how this goes!

Reactions: BichirKing
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
They're super easy to buy, though admittedly not cheap.

Buying a sheet of glass or acrylic is an order of magnitude easier than trying to buy raw, dangerous and highly volatile chemicals that need to be mixed together to precise and exacting specifications in a laboratory setting.

Check out glasscages.com. They specialize in aquarium needs and they'll ship large sheets of glass or acrylic.
oh, didn't realize that, but it isn't custom, but it would be hard to get it moved into my house and into the proper positioning and stuff, they'll just drop off the panel and leave, it'd be hard to get it into the house and hard to get it into the room and all sorts of other stuff. First you can use a respirator and wear gloves and ventilate the room for all the gases and chemical issues, then for the proper measurements I don't think they require EXACT precise measurements, I think it's just a ratio which comes with measuring cups to measure it out properly

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
oh, didn't realize that, but it isn't custom, but it would be hard to get it moved into my house and into the proper positioning and stuff, they'll just drop off the panel and leave, it'd be hard to get it into the house and hard to get it into the room and all sorts of other stuff. First you can use a respirator and wear gloves and ventilate the room for all the gases and chemical issues, then for the proper measurements I don't think they require EXACT precise measurements, I think it's just a ratio which comes with measuring cups to measure it out properly
It's custom. They'll cut it to any size you want, so long as it's not over a certain size limit. Idk off the top ofy head what that limit is, but it's likely about 12x4.

And, even if you went with a custom piece at home, you're still stick with hefting it around by yourself.

There really is no good reason to attempt this other than just doing it because you can lol. That is a viable reason mind you, but in no way will making your own sheet of acrylic be easier or cheaper than buying one would be.

Reactions: Drstrangelove
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store