Could you make your own acrylic sheet for an aquarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's custom. They'll cut it to any size you want, so long as it's not over a certain size limit. Idk off the top ofy head what that limit is, but it's likely about 12x4.

And, even if you went with a custom piece at home, you're still stick with hefting it around by yourself.

There really is no good reason to attempt this other than just doing it because you can lol. That is a viable reason mind you, but in no way will making your own sheet of acrylic be easier or cheaper than buying one would be.
yeah I guess you're right, only downside is fitting it into the room, fitting an 8 foot by 3 foot panel into a room is going to be pretty hard. Some places don't even let it go more than 8 feet

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Young man, you have just made my day, no my year! Haha. Have you seen the size of the factories that make acrylic sheets? Have you seen the size of the machines, not to mention the cost of them. And you want to make some acrylic sheets in your kitchen using bits of wood! I think you're being a little bit ambitious but I love the entrepreneurial flair that you're exhibiting at such a young age...even if it is a wacko idea!

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I was wondering, since it's hard to find a company that makes large acrylic or glass panels, would it be possible to make your own out of acrylic?
That is a viable reason mind you, but in no way will making your own sheet of acrylic be easier or cheaper than buying one would be.
In general, if one could make "something" at home and achieve the same product as from a plant at the same or lower cost, it would be getting done already. E. g., people still grow food and make clothes, at home.

People used to make bows, arrows, rope, iron, paper, and lumber for their own personal use. They even "made" their own houses. That was 19th century (and much earlier) tech. That tech still exists, but machinery, mass production, etc., has made it obsolete in terms of cost, as well as quality.

Obviously, some modern items have never been made as a home handicraft, due in part to their nature. You simply can't make pure titanium, 10nm chips, or Atlas engines in your garage using modern tech.

Basically, I don't think most people have the equipment or skill to produce acrylic at the cost or quality one can find on the open market. Steel I think would be much easier and have far more applications and no one makes their own steel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chicxulub

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Not to be rude but I find that doing research and taking notes on whatever subject you’re wanting to ask gives you the answer without having to ask. If I could find all of my note books then I could show you how much research I’ve done and how many answers I got versus how many I had to ask.

Reactions: Chicxulub

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Young man, you have just made my day, no my year! Haha. Have you seen the size of the factories that make acrylic sheets? Have you seen the size of the machines, not to mention the cost of them. And you want to make some acrylic sheets in your kitchen using bits of wood! I think you're being a little bit ambitious but I love the entrepreneurial flair that you're exhibiting at such a young age...even if it is a wacko idea!
I’m with this guy...good job for thinking big and for thinking out of the box! Unfortunately, in this case, I don’t think anyone will even sell you the raw materials for you to try this venture as they are too volatile. At minimum, you’ll need all sorts of permits to even purchase the stuff. Order cast acrylic online and have them cut it for you in the specs you want so you won’t have to lug around large pieces or grease the palm of the delivery guy with an extra $20 and ask him to move it to your room for you.

What are trying to make anyways with such a large panel? Plywood tank??

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah, one for a dovii, one for a peacock bass and silver arowana with a shovelnose catfish and some stingrays. And I think you can get the stuff to cast acrylic, I think they even sell it in hardware stores, and I looked up casting acrylic sheets and it said it could be done. I also have thought about taking a 120, dismantling it, and using the 2 long panels as viewing panels for a plywood tank, so it would be a 6'x6' tank with 2 viewing panels (one in front and one on the size), but I don't know if it can handle the pressure or not. To be clear, this is all in the future, not at the moment, I'm just thinking ahead.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Yeah, one for a dovii, one for a peacock bass and silver arowana with a shovelnose catfish and some stingrays. And I think you can get the stuff to cast acrylic, I think they even sell it in hardware stores, and I looked up casting acrylic sheets and it said it could be done. I also have thought about taking a 120, dismantling it, and using the 2 long panels as viewing panels for a plywood tank, so it would be a 6'x6' tank with 2 viewing panels (one in front and one on the size), but I don't know if it can handle the pressure or not. To be clear, this is all in the future, not at the moment, I'm just thinking ahead.
Put middle braces that are about 6" wide on those two 6' windows to get four 3' windows and you should be good. Do your math first though.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
You guys are hilarious shoot the kid straight. There’s no way he’ll be able to do this at home if he can’t even get a acrylic panel to inside his house. He would need a degree in bio chemistry, structural engineering, chemical bonding and other stuff to even possible attempt to recreate bulletproof glass at home also known as acrylic

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Put middle braces that are about 6" wide on those two 6' windows to get four 3' windows and you should be good. Do your math first though.
ok, sounds a bit easier now, thanks,
You guys are hilarious shoot the kid straight. There’s no way he’ll be able to do this at home if he can’t even get a acrylic panel to inside his house. He would need a degree in bio chemistry, structural engineering, chemical bonding and other stuff to even possible attempt to recreate bulletproof glass at home also known as acrylic
I don't know about you but I couldn't fit a 10'x3'x3" acrylic panel through my door, through the hallway, down the stairs and into a basement. It was just a thought, you guys don't need to be rude about it or anything

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
ok, sounds a bit easier now, thanks,

I don't know about you but I couldn't fit a 10'x3'x3" acrylic panel through my door, through the hallway, down the stairs and into a basement. It was just a thought, you guys don't need to be rude about it or anything
Sorry I’m trying to be nicer. In other words just spend the money. If strength is not your strongest pay someone to bring it down stairs. Maybe you don’t need a 10’ tank get a 6-8’ tank. Hell I doubt you would find ANYBODY to make you a 10 feet by 3 feet by 3 inch thick acrylic unless your a stash house with tons of money. Why the hell would you need 3” thick acrylic for anything other than building shamus home. Even then 3” is rediculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store