NOTICE

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Good points from everyone! A lot of our mods have been caught up by life, people like koltsixx koltsixx are amazing but haven't been around much. I'll volunteer for mod when I'm older :)

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I was just reading a thread by him and agree that he’s good.

Reactions: Chicxulub

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I implore the " learned ones" to stay. I am here because of the ideas and advice I have gotten over the years. As an experienced amatuer I only chime in on threads I am confident about either thru my own eyes or because of the Sages on this site. As I often say....I am only an expert on food. For expert advice on fish and pet keeping in general I come here. I am a lurker for sure but I usually keep my opinions to myself unless I can truly add something helpful!!

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Thank you Chicxulub Chicxulub for cleaning up around here. There is too many newer members giving out advice, after seeing a you tube video, and for the most part the advice is usually correct, but they aren’t speaking from experience they are just repeating what they heard. This is dangerous because when the advice is flat out wrong how is the non member who is just visiting for the first time supposed to know that the member with 5000 post is full of it. I also agree that we need more active moderators in each sub forum.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thank you Chicxulub Chicxulub for cleaning up around here.
+1 I've seen some awful advice in the cichlid and general aquarium discussion sections. It's normally over stocking or compatability. When you try your best to counter the piss poor advice, you end up in petty arguments.
I'm pleased Chicxulub Chicxulub has an eye on the situation.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
+1 I've seen some awful advice in the cichlid and general aquarium discussion sections. It's normally over stocking or compatability. When you try your best to counter the piss poor advice, you end up in petty arguments.
I'm pleased Chicxulub Chicxulub has an eye on the situation.
weirx.jpg

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I figure it's time for a sitrep on the moderation issue:

The Boss has given me the go ahead to create new staff, which I will do over the next few days. I intend to take an approach we've not tried on MFK before, however.

Honestly, our staff number is more than sufficient. Those of us with permissions to change the way the forum works (delete/move threads, etc) are present in sufficient numbers to handle the serious issues that arise.

The problem with moderation is twofold: first, the forum is simply too big for the handful of us to SEE everything; and second, whenever we promote moderators, they without fail end up becoming totally wrapped up in the day to day administration of the site, which takes some of the best and brightest members of the community out of the rotation of regular posters.

What I intend to do is bring on a few members to whom I will grant a few limited forum privileges to handle issues that may arise as they encounter them, but without burdening them with the responsibility of ensuring the good order and discipline of the site. A Small Council to assist and offer advice to the Hand of the King (and my fellow Lords Paramount staff members, to take this GoT pun to the extreme) if you will. I intend to allow these members to keep their anonymity so that they can operate impartiality.

Don't ask to be one, I will reach out when the time comes.

In addition to this, I have one member who has helped us for a long time who is grossly overdue for a promotion to the staff, to whom I plan to bestow full staff authority.

We're working on it. The Council idea is admittedly an experiment, I don't know if it will work.

We shall see.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Wow! I have been looking for this for some time. Im not all knowing, but I also dont pretend to be like those mentioned. I was greatly pushed away by all this "information" given out by people who dont know what they are saying. The problem arises when a visitor sees someone with 5k posts and thinks they are giving great information, when in reality its 5k posts of garbage.

So happy to see this, and start giving valuable information again :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chicxulub

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Curious to see how this works!

Also I feel bad for whoever polices the knife forum, basically nothing apart from ghosts and clowns :p
(But seriously that place is empty)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store