NOTICE

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Instead of following advice as to how to fix the situation in order to be accepted back into the community, white specter crayfish white specter crayfish tried to get around his probation status by creating a new account, Puffer Fish Boi Puffer Fish Boi . Tsk tsk. That's not how one ingratiates themselves into a community.

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Instead of following advice as to how to fix the situation in order to be accepted back into the community, white specter crayfish white specter crayfish tried to get around his probation status by creating a new account, Puffer Fish Boi Puffer Fish Boi . Tsk tsk. That's not how one ingratiates themselves into a community.
Guess that's probation level 2 or something like that in less than a day...
Does being on probation even effect your ability to use this site other than being less combative?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Guess that's probation level 2 or something like that in less than a day...
Does being on probation even effect your ability to use this site other than being less combative?
Back in ye olden dayes of yore, getting put on probation would turn a user's name pink, take away their signature, limit PM's, etc. All of that doesn't seem to work anymore with the new forum software, but still; the status is useful as a warning.

I've spent more than a week trying to talk to this kid behind the scenes, this is effectively the exact opposite of what I tried to get him to do to fix his situation.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Instead of following advice as to how to fix the situation in order to be accepted back into the community, @white specter crayfish tried to get around his probation status by creating a new account, @Puffer Fish Boi. Tsk tsk. That's not how one ingratiates themselves into a community.

Jeffrey/Jeremey, same piss poor advice from both, even without an IP address that wasn't too difficult to sniff out.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
tried to get around his probation status by creating a new account, Puffer Fish Boi Puffer Fish Boi . Tsk tsk.
Hello; I have been curious about the ability to do this because of some things that happened in the past. I suppose the fact you caught the tactic may mean it is not so simple to do.
Appears you have been more than patient with him already.

Does this new policy mean I should not keep trying to come up with a nick name for Hendre Hendre ?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hello; I have been curious about the ability to do this because of some things that happened in the past. I suppose the fact you caught the tactic may mean it is not so simple to do.
Appears you have been more than patient with him already.

Does this new policy mean I should not keep trying to come up with a nick name for Hendre Hendre ?
Nicknames are fine. This kid got in MORE trouble because he created an entire new account to try to get around the fact that he was on my radar.

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Double secret probation!
I'm 38, never had facebook. Found the site researching plecos; saw a lot of really knowledgable people here and that WERE here at some point. They might be gone, but their posts with passed down info and insight remain for knuckle daggers like me to read through.
The wealth of knowledge available here is a trove to people like me that like to follow rabbit holes.
As a newb, I was really blown away at how many times I have seen a freaking sturgeon recommended for pond stock. I, too, noticed the seemingly self appointed know-it-alls that come across as more interested in post count and notoriety as opposed to actually truly helping people out. For someone like me. That BS is easy to see and filter through. But I have seen a lot of "new" people with limited experience asking questions and being steered into future heartache with bad advice.
As a newb, I didn't feel like I have "earned the right" to stir the pot and call the kettle black (so to speak). Except one time when someone said Hitler deserved credit for accomplishing something.
I am grateful for the members that have been here for a minute that called these people out.
I also commend Chicxulub Chicxulub for addressing things, and trying to take the mature, fatherly route of leading instead of straight up dismissing.
Even though I might personally think some of these guys are clowns, I also fully support mentoring those that are open to it. It shows they are willing to learn, and that combined with passion can create a valuable asset to us in the hobby and to "us" as a species.
I like being here, and hope to be for a long while.
Thanks.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Back in ye olden dayes of yore, getting put on probation would turn a user's name pink, take away their signature, limit PM's, etc. All of that doesn't seem to work anymore with the new forum software, but still; the status is useful as a warning.
If I was on probation and my name was turned pink then I would definitely behave for quite a while after that not wanting my name to be turned pink again.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I haven't been on here for a while due to the hassle of renovations on the house and not having a tank set up until we move but when I check in I have noticed a drop in quality posts unfortunately. Not sure what this is due to as I've only been a member for a year but it has been noticeable.
Like most I discovered this site when googling trying to find. A solution to an issue and was Impressed by the quality of info, I thought "these guys are hardcore" and after 20 years of keeping fish I was inspired to keep fish "properly". I hope the site can continue to have this impact , it would be a shame to see it die. I like the guidance approach but think you need to be ruthless if people don't take the advice. I also like the no nonsense approach of members when someone is out of line or posting nonsense as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I've been on the receiving end of some blunt advice when I startred a thread , nothing was taken personally, I wasn't insulted but I certainly knew what members thought of my idea and I chose not to go ahead with it. This is the spirit we need to keep to have a healthy forum.
The rankings etc. Are a nice touch too.
Good luck with the rejuvenation , I think most members care enough that they will co operate when needed.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I haven't been on here for a while due to the hassle of renovations on the house and not having a tank set up until we move but when I check in I have noticed a drop in quality posts unfortunately. Not sure what this is due to as I've only been a member for a year but it has been noticeable.
Like most I discovered this site when googling trying to find. A solution to an issue and was Impressed by the quality of info, I thought "these guys are hardcore" and after 20 years of keeping fish I was inspired to keep fish "properly". I hope the site can continue to have this impact , it would be a shame to see it die. I like the guidance approach but think you need to be ruthless if people don't take the advice. I also like the no nonsense approach of members when someone is out of line or posting nonsense as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I've been on the receiving end of some blunt advice when I startred a thread , nothing was taken personally, I wasn't insulted but I certainly knew what members thought of my idea and I chose not to go ahead with it. This is the spirit we need to keep to have a healthy forum.
The rankings etc. Are a nice touch too.
Good luck with the rejuvenation , I think most members care enough that they will co operate when needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store