NEW CAT IN DA HOUSE...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Its actually a beautiful fish in the lights......the head almost reminds me of Lenticulata pikes....Hybrid or not I like it!!
This may or may not get you to agree with experts but will deepen your understanding of the issue of hybrid synos in the hobby: https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28659

I agree with the experts that they are harmful and must not be bought, must be boycotted by an aware hobbyist. The problem is awareness.

Not the fishes fault, I agree. Once you got it...

I took the freedom of posting your pics and asking for an ID, page 8, bottom. If you mind, I will delete it.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
This may or may not get you to agree with experts but will deepen your understanding of the issue of hybrid synos in the hobby: https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28659

I agree with the experts that they are harmful and must not be bought, must be boycotted by an aware hobbyist. The problem is awareness.

Not the fishes fault, I agree. Once you got it...

I took the freedom of posting your pics and asking for an ID, page 8, bottom. If you mind, I will delete it.
I dont mind at all...curious myself. Tell me what the concensus is....I did not try to buy a hybrid but I think the fish is pretty cool so its a keeper....not its fault.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I dont mind at all...curious myself. Tell me what the concensus is....I did not try to buy a hybrid but I think the fish is pretty cool so its a keeper....not its fault.
I'd rather you gather the info yourself. You probably noted that from your other "Help me pick a catfish" thread haha

Ok. Hybridization of synodontis :

-- done in the name of chasing profits
-- cruel, physically harms, tortures, and kills fish
-- obscures the study and procreation of genuine species

... for starters.

I too am a conscientious protester. I am against man playing god.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
The lake in front of my house is full of hybrids of crappie and sunfish and bluegill....I try not to catch them.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Haha... I've nothing against naturally-occurring hybrids.
Nothing natural about it except the spawning itself...some man put those diverse species together in a manmade lake.....coherced and forced hybridization I say!!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
To me, it sounds that the most important part is natural. You can probably find other species of perch-like fish in there along with catfish, etc. who do not hybridize with the said fish, nor between themselves.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314730#p314730

Quoting Jools, the owner of PCF and a high level expert: "That looks like a S. eupterus and S. grandiops cross or thereabouts..."

Which now that he said it, I see it too I think.

Thank you, Jools, so very much.

I must add that grandiops is erroneously called multipunctatus 99 times out of 100. In other words, when we see a multi for sale, 99% it is grandiops. Look much alike but when placed next to each other, one can see the difference.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314730#p314730

Quoting Jools, the owner of PCF and a high level expert: "That looks like a S. eupterus and S. grandiops cross or thereabouts..."

Which now that he said it, I see it too I think.

Thank you, Jools, so very much.

I must add that grandiops is erroneously called multipunctatus 99 times out of 100. In other words, when we see a multi for sale, 99% it is grandiops. Look much alike but when placed next to each other, one can see the difference.
I think it looks more like Sydontis pardalis.....color is off a little but close....very close.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store