Is this koi lymphocystis?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Two of our koi are sick with a disease that I can only tentatively ascribe to lymphocystis but not sure at all. Does anyone recognise this and know how to treat it?

The tumors are large, rubbery, with a strong stem where they are fixed to the fish, pink/fleshy in color, can look like cauliflower.

The fish have been:

--- treated against parasites, internally by Epsom salt, praziquantel, metronidazole, and fenbendazole;
--- externally by salt and by dimilin-x;
--- they also were administered a proper course of erythromycin via pellets for 3 weeks;
--- also acriflavin baths for two weeks.

None of these have had any effect on the growths.

One koi, ~10", has had it for 3-5 years now. I periodically cut it off. It grows back. The other, a large yamabuki ogon ~20", has developed several tumors within 6 months.

They are confined in a hospital tank.

Photos:

100_8352.JPG 100_8353.JPG 100_8354.JPG 100_8355.JPG 100_8356.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Don’t think so. Doesn’t have the look of it. Don’t believe koi can get lymphocystis. No facts or data to support it. Could be epitheliocystitis which may and may not respond to Acriflavin. It’s seen in koi and farmed fish. Ask Charney Charney for his opinion.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Acriflavine. Biopsy would tell you for sure. But if one fish in a group has it you consider cancer but when multiples come down with it then tumors should be considered less likely.
Agree.
No open sores. Area appears to be healed over. There is no treatment for cancer or tumors.
Cause for this condition is diet or toxin in the water. Some feed from China has been found to cause cancer in fish. Pollution, pesticide and chemicals in the water are known contributors.
To be sure you can have the water analyzed. I had it done about ten years ago on a pond that had problems. The cause was linked to a container the owner put in the pond which leached chemicals from the material used.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I agree it looks like a tumor. The best bet at this point is biopsy. Are you in you in Florida? I have an awesome veterinary pathologist down there you can send the sample to.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree it looks like a tumor. The best bet at this point is biopsy. Are you in you in Florida? I have an awesome veterinary pathologist down there you can send the sample to.
Thank you so much. Sorry for a delayed response. Yes, I am in Naples, FL. SWFL.

I'd be happy to seek professional help, send samples, whatever... but I am regrettably in no position to pay for the service.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store