Pleco's & cold outdoor pond

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Marietta LaFrancois - newbie
I have 3 plecos, 2 which are about 8", Central North Carolina. The 2 large ones just died. I have a pond heater on order. Too late, I guess.
What I ordered is actually a pond de-icer. Will this be sufficient in a 1,100 gallon pond for the 7 Koi I currently have? I would hate to lose any more fish, it has taken us a long time for the fish to be pretty sizeable.
I also have a terrible time with algae, having to clean off the pumps several times a day.. any suggestions there?
Plecos will not survive a North Carolina winter outside without the water being heated. Bring them in for the winter. A pond de-icer will not heat a pond. What it does is it keeps a hole in the ice in the winter. Koi can remain outdoors under the ice throughout winter as long as there is a hole in the ice to allow for gas exchange. As to your algae problem, algae needs light, nutrients, and CO2 to grow. If your pond is overrun by algae, you most likely have too many nutrients in the pond, which likely is caused by overfeeding or underfiltration. You can also reduce the amount of light the pond receives by using a shade cloth. By the way, once the pond water temperature drops below 50 degrees, stop feeding your koi until the pond warms up in the spring.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Marietta LaFrancois - newbie
I have 3 plecos, 2 which are about 8", Central North Carolina. The 2 large ones just died. I have a pond heater on order. Too late, I guess.
What I ordered is actually a pond de-icer. Will this be sufficient in a 1,100 gallon pond for the 7 Koi I currently have? I would hate to lose any more fish, it has taken us a long time for the fish to be pretty sizeable.
I also have a terrible time with algae, having to clean off the pumps several times a day.. any suggestions there?
Old thread I would order several pond heaters for now.
Remember as water temp dips to not feed fish during the winter!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store