brachyplatystoma filamentosum Grow out thread.

HELIOX

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
The Fish Room
Last year I also encountered a pH crash in one of my Piraiba group.... had no effect on the pseudoplatystoma tankmates, but the Piraibas took a hit. Lost one but two survived.

Those whiskers and fins will grow back to like new.....for sure...

Glad to see the updated photo, and still looks very Peruvian and its keeping the body shape as well.

The last photo is definitely a Suri.... long and streamline...

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Last year I also encountered a pH crash in one of my Piraiba group.... had no effect on the pseudoplatystoma tankmates, but the Piraibas took a hit. Lost one but two survived.

Those whiskers and fins will grow back to like new.....for sure...

Glad to see the updated photo, and still looks very Peruvian and its keeping the body shape as well.

The last photo is definitely a Suri.... long and streamline...
There half way back to full length already. Eating and growing again, great fish to own.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Have her eating pellets now. Its helped her bulk out quite quickly, getting deeper and wider. Back to her old self after the tank crash. Whiskers are coming back also, she has managed to lose Abit of the one whisker, I’m guessing arguing or the geophagus are responsible.

0EBA9D73-9D8D-4B7B-8F9C-AA766BED7FCB.jpeg

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Have her eating pellets now. Its helped her bulk out quite quickly, getting deeper and wider. Back to her old self after the tank crash. Whiskers are coming back also, she has managed to lose Abit of the one whisker, I’m guessing arguing or the geophagus are responsible.

View attachment 1340752
so how big is it measuring now? almost have had it 2 months.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Sorry for the long update. Life gets In the way sometimes.

She doing great. Growth has slowed right down now. Eatting small feeding of pellets daily and chopped mussles every few days. Not trying to pack
her full off food, I like my fish lean. Size roughly 7/7.5”

61A5304B-8B34-4680-A3A7-72BF270C6D2E.jpeg

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Cats slowly growing. Not rushing anything. Now feeding her twice a week,
Prawns, mussles and pellets.

My Surinam piriba arrives Wednesday (5th) aslong with another rare bratxhyolastom both around the 10” mark.

I’ll attach some pictures of both new additions. These where when they both arrived after landing, obviously they’ve completely healed now.

I’ve also been stupidly busy. So I’ll get back to replying to everyone on other threads as soon as I can, works stupidly busy.

44372619-F610-4A44-87DA-783339B2ACF6.png EB8E885A-57B6-41EE-BDAC-73EC5EC21739.png

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Rpul Rpul if you want your piraiba be lean, put on a wave maker so he will constantly swimming. Mine already 7" from nose tip to caudal peduncle. So fast, put on 3" in a month.

I'm so jealous right now, you have a Suriname. Mine are false, turn out to be a Peru. Your's truly a genuine, the tip of mouth are slightly bent & different spoting. Longer shoulders too. Keep updating

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Rpul Rpul if you want your piraiba be lean, put on a wave maker so he will constantly swimming. Mine already 7" from nose tip to caudal peduncle. So fast, put on 3" in a month.

I'm so jealous right now, you have a Suriname. Mine are false, turn out to be a Peru. Your's truly a genuine, the tip of mouth are slightly bent & different spoting. Longer shoulders too. Keep updating
These are 100% Surinam, only bloke in the uk who has a Suriname shipment. He manages to get some very rare fish in, also have a super rare pleco coming. I’ll keep you all updated, these will be going straight into the small pond with the capa. So pics won’t be great unfortuanlty. I long for large glass tanks again. Untill the house move. Ponds will have to do.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
These are 100% Surinam, only bloke in the uk who has a Suriname shipment. He manages to get some very rare fish in, also have a super rare pleco coming. I’ll keep you all updated, these will be going straight into the small pond with the capa. So pics won’t be great unfortuanlty. I long for large glass tanks again. Untill the house move. Ponds will have to do.
You'll be endangering the capa. Piraiba may or may not chase and bite it but vaillantii I would expect to do that, based on my one and only crabby specimen. Capa must be housed only with the MEEKEST and CALMEST of tankmates to have any shot at survival. Trust me. I just killed my 27" capa trying to make it do what it can't.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
You'll be endangering the capa. Piraiba may or may not chase and bite it but vaillantii I would expect to do that, based on my one and only crabby specimen. Capa must be housed only with the MEEKEST and CALMEST of tankmates to have any shot at survival. Trust me. I just killed my 27" capa trying to make it do what it can't.
That’s sad news mate. I shall keep an eye on them. I’m abit tight on space, untill everything’s moved. that capa is a lot larger around 19/20” so I’m guessing for some time they shouldn’t be okay, valiant around 11”.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store