brachyplatystoma filamentosum Grow out thread.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That’s sad news mate. I shall keep an eye on them. I’m abit tight on space, untill everything’s moved. that capa is a lot larger around 19/20” so I’m guessing for some time they shouldn’t be okay, valiant around 11”.
The size advantage may not help the capa but it makes this gamble less dangerous. Still, overall it is pretty dangerous. Gotta be prepared to separate but it sounds you won't have the right tank/pond anyway...

My capa from 22" to 27" had been housed with a 12" tig and it was biting its fins, so the tig had to hide. I wonder if your capa will show aggression towards the piraiba and the vaillantii, instead of vice versa.... and what will come of it.

I will preach what I don't practice :) Don't buy fish until you have the right tank with the right tank mates. Most definitely this goes for capa and rosseauxii. Just like me, you will regret it sooner or later, even though hope floats.

$0.02

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
The size advantage may not help the capa but it makes this gamble less dangerous. Still, overall it is pretty dangerous. Gotta be prepared to separate but it sounds you won't have the right tank/pond anyway...

My capa from 22" to 27" had been housed with a 12" tig and it was biting its fins, so the tig had to hide. I wonder if your capa will show aggression towards the piraiba and the vaillantii, instead of vice versa.... and what will come of it.

I will preach what I don't practice :) Don't buy fish until you have the right tank with the right tank mates. Most definitely this goes for capa and rosseauxii. Just like me, you will regret it sooner or later, even though hope floats.

$0.02
Understand your point victor, worst case I have to set the old 8x4 up in the house if it goes side ways. So hopfully I have no issues. I guess it all depends on the fish, the capa has always held his own. But a very calm fish non the less

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Moved her back onto frozen food the last week. Already seen the difference in growth compared to pellets.
Found she likes small chopped mussles and prawn. Odd for something that can easily swallow one whole no issue.
Find she’s eatting more of small item.

The pellets really didn’t aid her growth that much. Next week I’ll be rehoming most of the smaller stuff in that tank. Just leave the piriba, 2 eel, 2 bass and a adontis. Hopfully this sees her grow a lot faster.

45FA6CEC-72AD-496D-9CC9-C6B6ECF0285E.jpeg E8322046-525E-4613-B448-AE2E0C0BFC36.jpeg

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Easy on the crustaceans if going with this long term, I'd say if you asked me.

If you are seeing a difference in growth in just one week, it could be something related to the placebo effect :)

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If I had to guess, Rpul needs time to provide housing for all his growing fish. I feed my 1.5'-2' piraibas twice a day and the 3'-er gets fed once a day every day... but the latter only gathers pellets, disses thawed fish, while the smaller ones take fish every now and then but also prefer pellets.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
If I had to guess, Rpul needs time to provide housing for all his growing fish. I feed my 1.5'-2' piraibas twice a day and the 3'-er gets fed once a day every day... but the latter only gathers pellets, disses thawed fish, while the smaller ones take fish every now and then but also prefer pellets.
I know, just joshing Josh... See what I did there lol. My 13" & 28" only eat pellets, no longer feed on thawed fish or feeder. My Suriname still eats feeders. Wish they could revert back to feeding thawed fish, less expensive

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store