Help with gap under tank

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Looks shimmed in the right way to me... i would fill in the entire gap with shims tho as many as it takes... the other posters way will work as well shimming under ur horizontal 2x6. will use less shims that way.

Reactions: RemainVayne

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I would bet that the top 2x6 isn’t true. When ever I buy any lumber I go through the pile usually half are bowed. Honestly I would take apart the stand and rebuild the top. You should never shim a tank only the bottom of the stand. As mentioned the bottom of the stand is off the seam can separate and bust the tank.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I would bet that the top 2x6 isn’t true. When ever I buy any lumber I go through the pile usually half are bowed. Honestly I would take apart the stand and rebuild the top. You should never shim a tank only the bottom of the stand. As mentioned the bottom of the stand is off the seam can separate and bust the tank.
It's hard though because I was super paranoid about making sure everything was square while building the tank, and then using the level everywhere once it was put together. I don't think I could rebuild the stand any better than I have already done.

Just like styrofoam, I see conflicting suggestions all over the place of shimming only the bottom of the tank versus shimming between plywood and stand. Wednesday's response above is the perfect example.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
It's hard though because I was super paranoid about making sure everything was square while building the tank, and then using the level everywhere once it was put together. I don't think I could rebuild the stand any better than I have already done.

Just like styrofoam, I see conflicting suggestions all over the place of shimming only the bottom of the tank versus shimming between plywood and stand. Wednesday's response above is the perfect example.
How long of a level were you useing? A 6’ level should show where the bow is. Just because it’s level doesn’t mean it’s true. Lumber is cheap. Acrylic tanks and floods, well you see where I’m going. At the end of the day it’s your choice.

Reactions: monkeybike

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I don't see how the plywood bottom will bow under where the shims currently are. What's that gap between the shims, like "6-8"?

Can anyone get a 6-8" long 3/4" plywood to bend?

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I don't see how the plywood bottom will bow under where the shims currently are. What's that gap between the shims, like "6-8"?

Can anyone get a 6-8" long 3/4" plywood to bend?
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, the plywood is no longer bowing after I inserted the shims in my pictures.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
My stand was square and true where I built it but my basement floor was wack, so that's why I shimmed

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Quick update:

I shimmed and every which way I could place the level, the tank is good. However, when I measure from the piece of MDF the stand is resting on up to the top of my tank, the middle of the tank is showing as about 1/4" higher than the sides. I cannot freaking understand what's going on.

I'm about to trust everything and fill it up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store