Male flaveolus

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
They also look similar to Amarillo and Chancho as well. I've yet to keep any Amphs, my biggest tank is a 5ft 120gal. I assume I could get away with one big male of some species of amph, but right now is occupied by an Oscar and a Texas.
A 5' 120 is exactly what my pair is in

Reactions: Jexnell

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Solo male in a 5ft 120 gal looks good, you can grow show piece specimen. Over time with a pair aggression could be a problem as they get larger.

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Solo male in a 5ft 120 gal looks good, you can grow show piece specimen. Over time with a pair aggression could be a problem as they get larger.
That's why I've got half a dozen PVC pipes and clay pots in there in the bottom. If it we're not for those she'd be long gone lol

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
A 5' 120 is exactly what my pair is in
Sweet, so it is doable. I would definitely want a pair for sure, I just don't know what species.

What could you realistically keep in a 5ft 120?

Assuming you had cover for the female, and kept very good water quality.

Anything that stays under say 16''? Most amphs top out at that right?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Sweet, so it is doable. I would definitely want a pair for sure, I just don't know what species.

What could you realistically keep in a 5ft 120?

Assuming you had cover for the female, and kept very good water quality.

Anything that stays under say 16''? Most amphs top out at that right?
Go with Lysoni look a lot like Festae but stay smaller with adults in the 10in range.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
A 14 inch Amphilophus species are huge fish when you see them in person, with a female at 10+inch it can be hard to give her cover with still enough swimming space for both in a 5 ft. I think when the male gets over 12 inch you will start thinking about moving the female out anyway.

Reactions: Brandonclark88

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
When my female gets larger they'll be going in a 6' tank for sure. Lyonsi IME don't have the personality of the big amphs. I'd just do a big solo male. They're worth it

Reactions: Jexnell

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Barred midas is a catch-all common name, having nothing to do with species reality.
Amphillophus flaveolus is actually a separate species, but because it can be barred, it is often lumped into that common "barred"Amp name.
If spawned with another barred Amp species, say Amphillophus amarillo, you will be producing hybrids, so the progeny would not be flaveolus, or amarillo, I would consider the progeny aquarium strain mutts.
Kind of like crossing Herichthys cyannoguttaus with H carpintis, they look similar and are close cousins, but in reality not the same species just because they are similar looking.
Crossing of any of the above makes the progeny useless as breeding stock in my tanks.
I have kept all 4 of the above, and would never put males and females of each species together in the same tank for just that reason.

Reactions: Brandonclark88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store