Supporting your hobby

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I scrounge the ads for broken aquariums, fix them and sell them. other than that I scrimp on stuff to buy my fish. I build most of my stuff like stands and sumps from repurposed materials. I used to sell on aquabid about 10yrs ago but I had to get a real job.

Reactions: Fishflyer

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I work my butt off & get any OT I can mainly

I breed & sale dart frogs, sell plant clippings, sell bromeliad pups, sell leaf litter, springtails & isopods cultures. I barter a lot and flip things for a profit.

I build my own stands, use cheap pool filter sand, & collect my own driftwood

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I set aside an amount of $ for fish each month. And have several pairs of birds, parakeets and finches that put out chicks each month. Sell them at pet shop. Don't get much, but pays for seed and some extra for fish. Buy fish food in bulk on line, so other months I can buy favorite fish, but sometimes I can't because I have to buy equipment, like replace non functioning heater. Or upgrade to a better filter because of breakdown. (Always keep a couple spares--not the greatest but do the job.) Some months I don't buy anything, then there is a little extra for next month. Sometimes I overspend--less next month. Some of Birthday money goes toward fish.

Can be expensive hobby. I buy SAFE water conditioner. Dry, Concentrated Version of Prime. Same company, Seachem, same product lasts a long time. 6 month--1 year for my multiple tanks. $10 for 6 months instead of $7-$10 a month. Extra $10 a month can go somewhere else. Am trying to breed fancy Bettas now. Used to do it and make some extra money.

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
When I was still in highschool I'd just pocket up lunch money and tough up on hunger...
Not healthy at all I think, but worked pretty well

Reactions: J. H. and Fishflyer

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I became too old for my first occupation, I went back to school for microbiology and chemistry (20 previous years in the aquarium hobby had given me a lot of the basics), after finishing my degree I ended up a water chemist/microbiologist for a large water supplier. And although this didn't necessarily add any more to my basic income, it did give me access to the latest water testing technology, and equipment, gear like digital spectrometers and high end microscopes that cost more than my truck, not a bad way to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store