Supporting your hobby

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I painted cars in a body shop as a fulltime job. when I got married and had a kid on the way, I needed to work at my LFS nites and weekends to help support my hobby/addiction. a part of my life I wouldn't change. I miss those good ole days
I am very close to applying at my lfs during the winter months (slow season) as part time , more to learn than for the $. But I have a sneaky suspicion I will end up spending more than I make if I do it. Lol

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have moved more pallets than I care to recall, but have never seen any made from wood in as good of condition as yours. lol
This is only the nice bunch. We burnt plenty of useless wood :eek:

I used to mow lawns and work at sears. Now I have a regular job and that supports me.
That's great, unfortunately manual labour is super cheap here so I don't stand much chance!

When I was your age I convinced the owner of a pet department to hire me. I got paid under the table due to not being old enough to be hired legally. I would get fish food and live fish at a very cheap cost.:)
Sneaky, but effective! Now I have to write you up for illicit dealings :banhim:
I don't think I'd survive a pet store here...

Drugs and and collect cans
If it works I guess

I work a regular job to pay bills but often trade fish I raise to my lfs for food and equipment
How much do you get from your trading? It would be great to have a sustainable tanks!

I came from a humble beginning, so did not have much in terms of material things. Now that I have a profession and a healthy income, I'm catching up on what I didn't have as a kid. I am grateful I grew up as I did, because I appreciate everything I now have.
That's great to hear, well done man :D

Those planters look great!

Selling fry has been a small part of funding my hobby.
Thanks! I'm assuming cichlid fry?

I painted cars in a body shop as a fulltime job. when I got married and had a kid on the way, I needed to work at my LFS nites and weekends to help support my hobby/addiction. a part of my life I wouldn't change. I miss those good ole days
When one door closes a window opens... Congrats on working everything out :)

My career paid for the majority, I did do some extra consultant work when I was building my warehouse though.
Awesome :D

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Hendre Hendre
How much do you get from your trading? It would be great to have a sustainable tanks!

I’ve never kept up with it. I raise Electric Blue Acara, Albino Bristle Nose plecos, a few different Cory cats and Marble Angel.
These all sell well.
I am a trusted regular at my lfs.
I drop off fish and plants about twice a month.
I never take payment.
But, anytime I get food they don’t make me pay.
And any special order fish I want I get for their cost. So I have a pretty sweet deal.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hendre Hendre

I’ve never kept up with it. I raise Electric Blue Acara, Albino Bristle Nose plecos, a few different Cory cats and Marble Angel.
These all sell well.
I am a trusted regular at my lfs.
I drop off fish and plants about twice a month.
I never take payment.
But, anytime I get food they don’t make me pay.
And any special order fish I want I get for their cost. So I have a pretty sweet deal.
That is so cool. I want to do something like that some day

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Im lucky to come from the family I do and get gifted from my parents most of the tanks/equipment I own, but I have done the usual around here for my age by mowing lawns with other yard work. I have sold lots of cichlid fry and by saving that money I now have some of my favorite fish coming very soon. Nothing special as far as my funding story though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store