BGK breathing rapidly...

secuono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2009
Culpeper, VA
Finally found my air pump, stone is broken, though. She's curious about the new thing in her tank. I think she's breathing slightly slower or its wishful thinking.

It's been an hour and the bubbler has kept her moving and active. IDK if that's good or not, might be annoying her.

White of her tail looks different today, round shimmer spots. No specks/raised areas. Never seen this before.

secuono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2009
Culpeper, VA
Knife has been poking around the bubbler all night.

Alright, I had a feeling I had bought a newer test set and I do! It was hiding in the kitchen...
Anywho, redid the tests while draining tank.
Ammonia just hardly a green tint to it, so...less than 0.25?
Nitrite is zero.
Nitrate is higher, between 20 & 40.
Refilling now, 60% w/c.

secuono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2009
Culpeper, VA
New air disk was added last night.
She's moving her mouth much more normally now. I think she's in general a bit pudgy, bulge seems smaller, but I could be seeing things. And acting more normal, staying mostly horizontal and hiding amongst the plants.

Last edited:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Test your tap water with the new kit for ammonia and nitrate and post the results.

secuono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2009
Culpeper, VA
Test your tap water with the new kit for ammonia and nitrate and post the results.
I've done this before, doesn't come out pristine at all.
Tap is well water here.
Looks like ammonia is .25, nitrate is 5.
Tried to get a pic showing what I see in person.
20190109_135059.jpg

secuono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2009
Culpeper, VA
Also tested the mud pond we have(couple years ago), old water hole for cattle, fed by runoff. No life in it of any sort, besides possibly bacteria and parasites, but no fish or plants. And it came out 0, 0, 0. That was interesting...

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Thanks for posting your tap well water parameters.

Odd you are getting a slight ammonia reading, it may be due to environmental issues such as fertilizer run off, etc though a dirty test tube is also a thought.

I do like the low nitrate level, it seems between zero and 5ppm to me.

I know you said you did a 60% water change yesterday and your nitrate test result was between 20ppm and 40ppm so I assume that reading was before the water change, correct?

What is your aquarium nitrate reading today?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Thanks! It looks like the tank nitrate level is either 10 PPM or 20 PPM to me in the pic which is much better than the previous test reading.

Did you ever add the Epsom salt dosage kno4te kno4te suggested in post #8?

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store