Giraffe catfish at Fish Story

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Wow Viktor, made me do a lot of reading! Firstly in my last post I used the word occidentalis instead of auchenoglanis initially by mistake as I hadn't had my coffee yet. Occidentalis would perhaps imply that I agree with the 2013 "re-evaluation of the species-level diversity within the genus auchenoglanis" (Geerincks & Vreven) which I just re-read. I had corresponded with Dr. Tom Geerinicks in 2012 regarding auchenoglanis and parauchenoglanis before the paper was released. In this case I'm inclined to agree with the findings therein that a. occidentalis, a. auciteps, a. sacchii, a. tanganicanus, a. tchadiensis and a. wittei are all synonyms for one species- a. occidentalis. There are observable differences between those mentioned but apparently not enough morphological differences to separate them as different species especially lacking is enough molecular data which could prove things to be otherwise. It's quite possible that over time the same species has evolved in different regions and distant rivers and reflect those regional differences by virtue of color, patterns, fin shapes and size due to adaptation in disparate environs. That's the lumper view in a nutshell I suppose. Then there's terms like subspecies, strain, cf., etc. I couldn't give a good definition of those in any scientific parlance so I won't. Planet Catfish shows auchenoglanididae containing 9 species which for fish keeper purposes is a good thing whether genetically correct or not, as it's easier to describe different varieties in forums like this, eh? Scientific lumper and pragmatic splitter…
Anyway very interesting that the Volta cat is slower growing and remains smaller than the others, no contradiction to the myth so far...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Solid reply, Kirk, as always. Many thanks! I keep learning with your every post. Wow! You've corresponded with the first author of the latest genus revision! I feel I'm one step away from direct access to royalty :)

Well, it "only" took me 3 hours of homework to compose my post :)

Well, see, the lurking danger is that people usually tend to believe the last thing (an earnest and grounded write-up, treatise, article, book, textbook, etc.) they have read. Not saying this is the case here but it's a known psychological factor.

... in my last post I used the word occidentalis instead of auchenoglanis initially by mistake as I hadn't had my coffee yet...

... Scientific lumper and pragmatic splitter…
These made me chuckle :D But seriously, the pragmatic splitter thought struck me as something novel that I have never thought of and agreeable!

If we go by WetSpot, I must have two Voltas. This is lucky, if true. This doubles our chances to prop or debunk the myth.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wait..you're that guy on this other site I stopped by on..it was about building this public aquarium thing right?
If you are referring to the first linked thread in my signature, then yes. My screen name is my real name on Planet Catfish, where I was born and raised as a fish keeper :)

Reactions: M@T!@$

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
There are disagreements among scientists as to whether the family claroteidae and auchenoglanididae should be separate or combined based on phylogenetic publications, conclusions about valid species among a particular genus gets more complicated, of course.
Taxonomy is an ongoing process based on past and ongoing studies combined with the latest technology available to refine, revise or change previous determinations. I try to keep an open mind and consider arguments for each case. Whether or not the shape of premaxillary tooth patches, adipose fin shape, barbel length, pigmentation, etc. are different enough to determine whether or not to combine or separate a species is subject to interpretation of the data provided.. Lacking any scientific expertise, I just like keeping weird lookin' catfish...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Here is the second gcat from WetSpot that they labeled Volta, the one that came in along with Niger and Congo, both of which are in a 4500 gal and are over 1'. This one appears to have been stuck at ~7"-8" for a year now.

With tank mates in 240 gal:

Last edited:

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Nice! It seems that so far in your 'experiment' with a variety of auchenoglanis species that the Volta River one's seem to either remain smaller or are much slower growing. What's really good about it is that the Volta variety shows up occasionally from some vendors whereas the other known auchenoglanis known to stay small like a. senegalis are rarely if ever imported. Your Volta fish appears quite similar to a. wittei in general appearance but with the exception of very noticeable white chin barbels which may be a way to better ID them from others if it's a trait from that river system and not just an individuals coloration...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Beetlebug515 Beetlebug515 and Paige Paige

Video update on Happy and 3 of his brothers. Happy (A. wittei I think) is 1.5' and, as expected, the star of the show:

The order of appearances:

First, wittei named Happy at 1.5' in 4500 gal.
Second, the two Bouche (a bit far off) in 4500 gal
Third, the second Volta at 10" in 240 gal.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for the update. Sorry I haven't been on in awhile we have been breaking down tanks and preparing to move to fl. Happy looks amazing and as happy as ever :)
To Florida? Great. Whereabouts?

Reactions: FIU Panther

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
An obligatory yearly update. A clip from a few videos showing the 6 gcats residing in the 4500 gal. Nothing much to say comes to mind now... except the Congos / wittei pair keep growing significantly whilst the rest either doesn't or not significantly.

Happy (one of the wittei) is around 2' now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store