Cherry Barbs killing guppies

White Noise

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2019
Australia
Hi all. This is my first post. I have an 850L hardscape tank. I am going for a community tank and have about 20 rummy nose tetra, 20 cardinal tetras, 5 white fin tetra, 6 plecos, 3 bristlenose catfish , and 10 cherries (5m/5F). I got 4 fancy guppies today, and the female cherries have killed 2 of them like they were on a hit. 2 dead within 3 hours. I don't know what sex the guppies were. I thought they should be great mates in a large enough environment with places to hide etc etc. The tank is relatively new and have had the Barbs for about 2-3 months.

Is it normal for this to occur? I bought these as a trial for fish like dwarf Gourami, discus etc later on down the track. If they destroy the guppies, does this mean they will kill anything else I put in there?

Cheers

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all. This is my first post. I have an 850L hardscape tank. I am going for a community tank and have about 20 rummy nose tetra, 20 cardinal tetras, 5 white fin tetra, 6 plecos, 3 bristlenose catfish , and 10 cherries (5m/5F). I got 4 fancy guppies today, and the female cherries have killed 2 of them like they were on a hit. 2 dead within 3 hours. I don't know what sex the guppies were. I thought they should be great mates in a large enough environment with places to hide etc etc. The tank is relatively new and have had the Barbs for about 2-3 months.

Is it normal for this to occur? I bought these as a trial for fish like dwarf Gourami, discus etc later on down the track. If they destroy the guppies, does this mean they will kill anything else I put in there?

Cheers
Welcome aboard

I personally never heard or read anything about Cherry Barbs killing Fancy Guppies. Just found this. Sorry for your losshttps://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...rbs-and-zebra-danios-with-fancy-guppies.9735/

Reactions: White Noise

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have always found all barbs and tetras to be fin nippers.
So if the guppies are slowed down by having large fantails, or fancy tails this makes them perfect candidates to be picked on with impunity. It is not surprising to me, when I have snorkeled with tetras, they constantly nipped at my earlobes
This doesn't mean gouramis or discus would be victims, they usually outsize the barbs doubly and may not put up with it.
Every time I flinch in the video the tetras are nipping my ears.
Aktun Ha

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yeah, those long fins are a red flag. Supposedly some of the barbs nip less in large groups (more than 6).

My rule of thumb is match long fins with long fins UNLESS the short fins are a lesser aggression level.

Reactions: White Noise
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store