flash juruense catfish

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
This was mine right after it passed it was just a regular jurunese kept it regular tap water in about 76 degree water .had him since he was about 2 inchesView attachment 1357649

Gorgeous specimen!

He's also a prime example of what I was talking about earlier that there's no such thing as flash zebra vs regular jur: they're all the same thing, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Flash Zebra!.jpg
flash zebrajpg.jpg 2'+Flash Z.jpg

More amazing specimens to drool over!
I've kept a couple of juruense cats but none ever displayed the "flash zebra" coloration. I agree with everything said on this post so far as to size, environmental conditions and genetics. Several times I've read that the most colorful specimens have come from certain river systems. This species exists in Brazil, Venezuela and Peru, at least, maybe Colombia too. For some reason it's said that the most exotic variations have come from The Rio Nanay in Peru. This river is also the one that seems to have the most colorful discus species to be found. Perhaps this could be a factor as far as environmental parameters or evolutionary genetics, or not? Some have surmised that diet could contribute to coloration and have experimented with foods that might contribute to enhancing the gold/yellow pigments that this variation exhibits. As with any catfish, lighting and background are important factors in what colors they eventually display. It seems quite possible that any juruense could turn out to have the "flash Zebra" colors under the "right" conditions in an aquarium, the trick is how to artificially create the conditions responsible, whatever they are?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Here's one I ordered last week. It has an oddball-ish pattern to it, and was the only one with a tan head instead of a black head.

I'm hoping this may be my unicorn!

3.jpeg

20190206_135025.jpg

20190206_134905.jpg

I've also done a LOT of reading on the issue of the "flash" color expression over the past week, and I've got a hypothesis I'm going to test on this fish once I get it fattened up a bit. I'll post the results in a thread in a year or so if I can succeed in not killing this guy lol

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
Here's one I ordered last week. It has an oddball-ish pattern to it, and was the only one with a tan head instead of a black head.

I'm hoping this may be my unicorn!

View attachment 1359646

View attachment 1359647

View attachment 1359648

I've also done a LOT of reading on the issue of the "flash" color expression over the past week, and I've got a hypothesis I'm going to test on this fish once I get it fattened up a bit. I'll post the results in a thread in a year or so if I can succeed in not killing this guy lol
Good luck, and hopefully he will look stunning :)

Reactions: Chicxulub
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store